Medieval origin; much rebuilt in 17th century; dated 1720
and 1724; extensive renovations and alterations, 1833, and
also in 1891. All harled with ashlar margins and dressings.
Cruciform plan with square 2-storey tower at west gable,
with small windows (louvred in upper storey), saddle back
roof running east west with apex ball finials, and
skewputt dated 1720.
Projecting centre south aisle dated 1724, with round-headed
entrance in west elevation and point-headed Y-traceried
window in south gable. Mural tombstone to Groat family,
erected 1568, under south gable window. Short, low north
aisle with crowstepped gable with pointed-headed, 2-light
window in north gable.
South elevation lit by 3 long window with multi-pane glazing
breaking wallhead in gablets (1891); small blocked window
in SE outer bay; long pointed-headed east gable window;
slate roofs. Interior; south aisle as entrance porch with
remainder of church set out in T-plan, with seating in all
3 aisles; square later 19th century pulpit with canted
front and cusped panelling, panelled back-board, against
south wall. East and west galleries with panelled fronts;
access to tower from west gallery. North aisle, formerly
housing heritors' gallery (Sinclair of Mey) framed by giant
reeded pilasters supporting dentilled and corniced lintel,
and with worn 17th century mural monument with flanking
paired fluted Corinthian pilasters against north wall.
Various other 18th and 19th century mural monuments; simple
stencilled frieze. Walled burial ground containing
interesting tomb stones, many of fine quality, dating from
17th to 20th century (some early stones re-cut by John
Nicolson of Nybster in later 19th century). Also monument
by John Nicolson to his mother, 1868.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
Mural tomb set in south wall discovered in church floor,
and re-cut by John Nicolson of Nybster in later 19th
century. John Nicholson a Caithness sculptor of local
reputation. In 1833 the church was newly floored, roofed
and seated. Mural monument to Groat family relocated
within entrance porch of church.