Large collegiate gothic structure built round 3 quadrangles
of which the N. and S. open into one another with central
library building between the cloister links not having been
built N.E. Quadrangle unfinished, N. side only completed.
Snecked red sandstone, mainly 2-storey and attic.
Symmetrical entrance front with 4-storey gate tower.
Architects; originally, John Henderson, begun 1843 f.s.
8th September 1846. Near-by symmetrical W. wing with
gatehouse and (original) Warden's House 1847, N. wing 1847-8,
chapel 1851 with glass by Powell (spire planned but not
built) completed 1851. Hall 1861-3, Henderson largely
redesigned Sir G.G. Scott. Gymnasium A.G. Heiton 1889.
Block between chapel and hall, new wing and laboratory 1892-3
George Henderson; Library A.G. Heiton 1904-06. Matheson
building and New Cloister 1926 and 1932, new warden's house
1927. J. Donald Mills and G.D. B. Shepherd. North wing
reconstructed 1932-3, west wing 1935-6. Chapel furnishings;
War Memorial 1922, Neish Memorial 1939 both by Sir J.
Ninian Comper; W. Screen in chapel Sir Basil Spence.