Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

Tower Cottage, Hillside, MontroseLB17749

Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Last Date Amended
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NO 70446 61178
370446, 761178


Tower Cottage is a detached, single-storey with attic, four-bay, former stables and groom's accommodation dating from around 1820, with 20th and 21st century alterations. It is built in the cottage orné style and has a three-storey tower with a crenellated parapet to the southeast. The walls are harled and painted with contrasting surrounds. Tower Cottage was converted to a house sometime after 2002. It is located in the village of Hillside near Montrose and is historically associated with Gordon House (formerly known as The Cottage), which is located to the east and listed separately at category B (LB17748). The buildings are separated by a detached garage that dates from 2002.

The front (north) elevation has multiple openings, including three door openings, and a tripartite window at first floor level. The rear (south) elevation has a later balcony at first floor level and a mono-pitched sunroom addition below with late-20th century double-doors leading to a seating area. The single-storey range adjoining the east elevation dates from around 2002.

The roof is half-piended and slated with some overhanging eaves and exposed rafter tails. The openings are largely gothick-style pointed-arches. The windows have predominantly lattice glazing in timber sash and case frames, with some lying-pane fixed lights to the north elevation. The doors are timber replacements.

Statement of Special Interest

Tower Cottage is a distinctive, detached former stables and Groom's accommodation designed in a cottage orné style which directly reflects the design and architectural features of the associated Gordon House to the immediate east. The cottage orné style was popular for small-scale domestic or estate architecture in Scotland for a short period in the early-19th century and is now relatively rare. The style stems from the 18th century English Romantic period and interest in the Picturesque. It is characterised by decoratively carved bargeboarding and highly decorative gothic-inspired ornamentation (known as 'Gothick').

Tower Cottage was converted to a dwelling house sometime after 2002 having been previously used as a stable and garage for Gordon House. The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1861-63 shows the former stables as roughly L-plan with a rectangular plan extension attached to the east elevation. The 2nd and later Edition Ordnance Survey maps show there has been some reconfiguration of the east elevation in the 20th century, but overall, the core footprint has been largely retained.

Photographs taken in 2002 show an extension on the east elevation of the building with a mono-pitched roof and an up-and-over garage door. This was removed after 2002 and a replacement extension added which encloses the base of the tower. The conversion work is in keeping with the early-19th century, cottage orné character and style of the house and former stable.

The architect of Gordon House and Tower Cottage is unknown. The previous listed building record for Gordon House noted it may have been built as the dower house associated with Hedderwick, a small mansion and estate located nearby, which belonged to Lord Benholme. The previous listed building record for Tower Cottage refers to the building as a former coachhouse, stables and Groom's House, but the openings that remain are too narrow for coaches or motorcars suggesting the coachhouse section of the building may have been reconfigured and was possibly on the east elevation.

The Ordnance Survey Name Book of 1857-61 describes Hillside as a village containing detached cottages with gardens and plots of ornamental ground attached (OS1/14/72/17). Gordon House (LB11748) remains a prominent building within the landscape and its associated Tower Cottage has similar cottage orné features showing the functional relationship between the buildings. The use of this style is distinctive within the village and its survival as a group with Gordon House is of special interest.

Statutory address and listed building record revised in 2021. Previously listed as 'The Cottage, Hillside Coachhouse Stable and Groom's House'.



Canmore: CANMORE ID 251187


Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1861-63, published 1863) Forfarshire XXVIII.10 (Montrose). 25 inches to the mile. 1st Edition. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Ordnance Survey (revised 1901, published 1904) Forfarshire XXVIII.10 (Montrose; St Cyrus). 25 inches to the mile. 2nd Edition. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Ordnance Survey (1966) 1:2,500 map. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Ordnance Survey (1984) 1:2,500 map. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Printed Sources

White, R. (2017) Cottages Ornés: The charms of the simple life. London: Yale University Press, pp.59, 147-49.

Online Sources

Angus Council Planning Portal, at [accessed 09/03/2021].

Ordnance Survey Name Book (1857-61) Forfarshire (Angus) volume 72, OS1/14/72/17, p.17 available at [accessed 10/12/2020].

Other Information

Further information provided courtesy of the owner.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to Tower Cottage, Hillside, Montrose

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2024 14:21