Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

Gordon House, Hillside, MontroseLB17748

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
11/06/1971
Last Date Amended
23/07/2021
Local Authority
Angus
Planning Authority
Angus
Parish
Montrose
NGR
NO 70479 61188
Coordinates
370479, 761188

Description

Gordon House (formerly The Cottage) is a multi-phase, irregular-plan, detached house with 18th century origins. It largely comprises a single-storey, cottage orné-style house with basement and attic, dating from around 1820. An earlier, two-storey, brick-built building is located to the east and dates from the 18th century. It is connected to the 1820s part of the house by a gable-fronted, two-storey extension dating from 1859. There are some later 20th century additions, including a mono-pitched porch on the front (north) elevation of the main house and a 1980s, single-storey store at the east end of the 18th century range. The walls are harled and painted throughout, with contrasting cills and margins.

Gordon House is located in the village of Hillside near Montrose. The associated former coachhouse, stable and Groom's house (now known as Tower Cottage) is designed in a similar gothick-style cottage orné and is located to the immediate west of the house (listed separately at category B, LB17749). The buildings are separated by a detached garage that dates from 2002.

1820s range: the entrance (north) elevation has twin jerkin-head gables with gothick-style, pointed-arch openings, with tripartite openings to the attic level. There is a mono-pitched entrance porch spanning between the projecting gables that dates from the 1960s, with a replacement entrance door and large flanking windows with fixed 16-pane glazing. The rear (south) elevation has a three-bay, bowed window to the centre and later 20th century door openings on either side. The piended slate roof has exposed rafter tails to the eaves and a pair of diamond-shaped, ashlar chimneystacks and tall, octagonal clay cans above each of the gables on the north elevation. There are two further chimneystacks to the front and rear ridge, which are rendered with matching cans. The windows on the north elevation are largely latticed with cavetto (concave) surrounds but those to the south elevation are six over six timber sash and case.

The mid-19th century extension is L-shaped on plan and abuts the east elevation of the 1820s building. The two-storey north and south elevations are gable-fronted. There is a single-storey range to the east, comprising a two-bay mono-pitched range to the north elevation and a single bay to the south elevation with a crenelated parapet. The roof is pitched and slated with exposed rafter tails to the eaves. The windows are largely four over four or six over six timber sash and case.

The 18th century range abuts the east elevation of mid-19th century extension. It is rectangular on plan and has regular openings to the two-bay south elevation. The north elevation is blank and is abutted by a mono-pitched porch and additional bay which date from the mid-19th century extension. The blank east elevation is abutted by a single-storey, pitched-roof addition that was built in the 1980s.

Internally, the 18th century section has been stripped back to the brickwork and the remaining stone floor slabs and two fireplaces appear to be of an 18th century date.

Images of the remaining interior have not been seen (2021).

Statement of Special Interest

Gordon House is a distinctive multi-phase house, designed primarily in a cottage orné style. The cottage orné style was popular for small-scale domestic or estate architecture in Scotland for a short period in the early 19th century. Surviving examples that retain much of their historic character are quite rare. The style stems from the 18th century English Romantic period and interest in the Picturesque. It is characterised by decoratively carved bargeboarding and highly decorative gothic-inspired ornamentation (known as 'Gothick').

The symmetrical front elevation of the cottage orné (1820s) section of Gordon House is largely unaltered. It displays distinctive features that are characteristic of the style. These include the pointed arched openings, the lattice-paned glazing, and the twin jerkin-headed gables with the tall, ornamental chimneystacks. The original plan form of the 1820s building remains clearly evident, despite a number of later additions to its footprint.

The two-storey, 18th century section of the property is built of hand-made clay bricks, which may have been locally sourced as Montrose is historically known for its brick manufacturing industry. The design, brick construction and interior layout of this earlier structure suggests it may have been built as a domestic outbuilding before being incorporated as part of the house when the mid-19th century extension was built, joining it with the 1820s house. It is plain in architectural terms but the 18th century range, and the mid-19th century extension are key components that inform us about the development of the house over time.

The architect of Gordon House and Tower Cottage is unknown. The previous listed building record noted that Gordon House (formerly The Cottage) may have been built as the dower house associated with Hedderwick, a small mansion and estate located nearby, which belonged to Lord Benholme. Census data and historic newspapers indicate Gordon House was in the ownership of the Lyall family from the 1850s to the 1950s.

The Ordnance Survey Name Book of 1857-61 describes Hillside as a village containing detached cottages with gardens and plots of ornamental ground attached (OS1/14/72/17). Gordon House remains a prominent building within the landscape and its associated former coachhouse (LB17749) has similar features of the cottage orné style, showing the functional relationship between the buildings. The use of this style is distinctive within the village and its survival alongside its associated former coachhouse is of special interest.

Statutory address and listed building record revised in 2021. Previously listed as 'The Cottage, Hillside'.

References

Bibliography

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/ CANMORE ID 251187 and 227238

Maps

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1861-63, published 1863) Forfarshire XXVIII.10 (Montrose). 25 inches to the mile. 1st Edition. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Ordnance Survey (revised 1901, published 1904) Forfarshire XXVIII.10 (Montrose; St Cyrus). 25 inches to the mile. 2nd Edition. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Ordnance Survey (1965) 1:2,500 map. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Ordnance Survey (1990) 1:2,500 map. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Printed Sources

White, R. (2017) Cottages Ornés: The charms of the simple life. London: Yale University Press, pp.59, 147-49.

Online Sources

Angus Council Planning Portal, at https://planning.angus.gov.uk/online-applications/search.do?action=simple&searchType=Application [accessed 09/03/2021].

Ordnance Survey Name Book (1857-61) Forfarshire (Angus) volume 72, OS1/14/72/17, p.17 available at https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/ordnance-survey-name-books/forfarshire-angus-os-name-books-1857-1861/forfar-angus-volume-72/17 [accessed 10/12/2020].

Other Information

Further information provided courtesy of the owner (2021).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to Gordon House, Hillside, Montrose

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2024 15:14