Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

CAWDOR VILLAGE CAWDOR PARISH CHURCH AND BURIAL GROUNDLB1760

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
26/01/1971
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Cawdor
NGR
NH 84361 49947
Coordinates
284361, 849947

Description

1619, enlarged 1830-31. Galleries, pews, A. & W. Reid, and

Wittet, Elgin, 1903. Cruciform church with tower incorporated

in south gable. Harl pointed rubble, ashlar dressings.

Entrance porch straddles SE re-entrant with moulded

pointed-headed arch supported by heavy corbelled engaged

columns. Further (1830-31) pointed-headed, hood-moulded

entrances in centre north, east and west gables with

similarly detailed gallery windows above and long Y-tracery

windows in each elevation. Hoodmoulded (1619) 3-light plate

traceried window in centre south gable with simple carved

decorative detailing to mullions. Square (1619) tower rises

above, with centre slit vents, unusually decorated corbel

table to crenellated wall walk above which rises later,

probably 1830, single stage square belfry with round-headed

louvred windows in each face, pyramidal slate roof and

weather cock.

Corniced stack at north gable apex, cross finials at east and

west; crowsteps; slate roof.

Interior; Minister's room and tower base fill south gable;

T-plan, interior, with N.E. and W aisles all galleried with

Gothic detailing to panelled fronts, and to pulpit, all

fittings 1903.

Burial ground; rubble walled enclosure with entrances in

north and south flanked by simple gate piers. 18th and 19th

century grave-stones.

Fine wrought-iron lantern, probably early 19th century,

mounted on wooden post, stands at junction of church paths to

south of building.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

References

Bibliography

THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, iv, (1797) p.353. NEW STATISTICAL

ACCOUNT xiii, (1842) p.24. George Hay, THE ARCHITECTURE OF

THE SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION CHURCHES (1957) pp.39, 44, 171.

Moray District Record Office, DAW412. 1903 plans.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CAWDOR VILLAGE CAWDOR PARISH CHURCH AND BURIAL GROUND

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/08/2019 04:47