Circa 1700. 2-storey, basement and double attic, 5-bay classical mansion, gutted by fire, 1966; formerly with single storey pavilion additions to E and W. Harled sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings; chamfered reveals. Base course, moulded cornice. Tie-plates.
N AND S ELEVATIONS: identical, regular fenestration to each bay at each floor, small windows to basement. Pedimented doorway at centre with bead and hollow surround, narrowly luged, and pulvinatred frieze, reaching cill of 1st floor window. Stone stairs leading to each door, oversailing basement to N (front) elevation, formerly with railings. Shaped gabled dormerhead to centre bay with scrolled skewputts and oval oculus. Oculus flanking door on S elevation, to left.
E AND W ELEVATIONS: shaped gablehead almost completely decayed (1989), with scrolled skewputts retained; centre window to 1st and 2nd floor, blinded at 1st. Basement door, off-centre; evidence of former pavilions.
Formerly with 12-pane glazing pattern to sash and case windows. Currently roofless and without floors.
RETAINING WALLS: sandstone rubble retaining walls adjoined to E and W by S elevation.
Statement of Special Interest
The house was probably built for one of the Hamiltons, from whom Colonel James Gardiner bought the property, and was known as Olivstob. Gardiner was born 1688, and was a loyal Hanovarian soldier, who died at the Battle of Prestonpans, September 1745, on his own land. The shaped gableheads have a strong dutch flavour, and the classical form and double-pile plan of the house are significant; Gardiner's military connections may have provided an English architect. The end elevations formerly included broad, paired stacks, bridged and with attic window in between. The interior suffered from a fire in 1852, but was still occupied as a farmhouse before the second fire in 1966. Bankton House garden house/dovecot (originally 1 of 2) and the Colonel Gadiner Monument are listed separately. The Lothian Building Preservation Trust are investigating a possible restoration (1991).