Mid 19th century. 2-storey, rectangular-plan former generating house, on falling ground. Red brick, with contrasting brickwork banding. Round-arched openings at 1st floor.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 7-bay; modern timber door with radial semicircular fanlight at centre, vertically-boarded timber door with radial semicircular fanlight in penultimate bay from left; windows to remaining bays.
W GABLE: 3-bay; later brick addition to right at ground, brick-infilled segmental-arched openings in bays at ground; windows in bays at 1st floor; decorative brick roundel centred above.
N ELEVATION: 7-bay; modern timber bipartite door in penultimate bay from left at ground, with cement lintel; brick-infilled segmental-arched openings in remaining bays at ground; brick-infilled opening in bay to outer left at 1st floor, windows in remaining bays at 1st floor. Large wall-mounted metal bracket projecting to outer left.
E GABLE: 3-bay; cement ramp with brick walls and flat coping, descending to central slapping at ground with 2-leaf vertically-boarded timber door; brick-infilled segmental-arched openings to left and right at ground; windows in bays at 1st floor, central window part-infilled; decorative brick roundel centred above.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2000.
Predominantly 18-pane fixed timber windows, with radial semicircular fanlights, covered by grills. Red pantile roof; stone ridge, stone skews and decorative skewputts. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
Statement of Special Interest
A Group with Prestongrange Colliery, Hoffman Kiln, and Prestongrange Colliery, Pump House and Pump (see separate listings). The generating house was built to produce electricity for Prestongrange Colliery, and is now in use as an exhibition hall, housing a notable collection of mining artefacts. Monks from Newbattle Abbey originally mined for coal here as far back as the twelfth century. This was the start of the area's connection with coalmining, and the first shaft of Prestongrange's last mine was sunk in 1830. The mine was eventually closed in 1963, and after abandonment and partial clearing it was saved and became part of the Scottish Mining Museum.