Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

PRESTON, PRESTON CROSSLB17533

Status: Removed

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
05/02/1971
Date Removed:
20/03/2018
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
Parish
Prestonpans
NGR
NT 39156 74045
Coordinates
339156, 674045

Removal Reason

The designation of this structure as a listed building will be removed as part of the Dual Designation 2A project. It will continue to be recognised as being of national importance through its designation as a scheduled monument.

Description

Early 17th century. Yellow sandstone mercat cross, comprising round drum base surmounted by shaft. Base course. Pilastraded drum divided into 8 panels, 6 comprising round-arched, scallop-headed niches with stone seats; string course at impost level; round-arched opening with vertically-boarded studded timber door and square-headed platform stair opening with iron yett, to remaining panels. Corbelled out at moulded entablature, with decorative spiral waterspouts and Doric guttae aligned above pilasters, surmounted in turn by panelled pilasters to parapet, each with flagstaff socket above. Parapet encloses platform with oval-section shaft rising from central plinth, with decorative capital surmounted by painted finial of seated unicorn, crowned at throat, holding cartouche with rampant lion motif.

Statement of Special Interest

Property in Care. Scheduled Ancient Monument No 90242. Called 'the most handsome mercat cross in Scotland', it was built soon after the 1617 charter enabling Preston to hold a weekly market and the annual St Jerome's Fair, held on the second Thursday of October. Preston Cross is unique amongst Scottish mercat crosses of the period in that it has never been moved. Howard notes a possible rivalry with Edinburgh in celebrating James VI's visit to Scotland in 1617. The timber door leads to a central domed chamber that was probably used as a prison, the pit-prison of nearby Preston Tower (see separate listing) being abandoned after the building of the cross. The Renaissance carving is contemporary to that of nearby Winton House (see separate listing).

References

Bibliography

EDINBURGH ARCHITECTURAL ASSOCIATION SKETCH BOOK, VOL II (1878-79), p44; J W Small, SCOTTISH MARKET CROSSES (1900); RCAHMS, INVENTORY OF MONUMENTS AND CONSTRUCTIONS IN THE COUNTY OF EAST LOTHIAN (1924), p106; C McWilliam, LOTHIAN (1978), p390; D Howard, SCOTTISH ARCHITECTURE FROM REFORMATION TO RESTORATION 1560-1660 (1995), p126; M Glendinning, R MacInnes, A MacKechnie, A HISTORY OF SCOTTISH ARCHITECTURE (1996), p65.

Historic Environment Scotland Properties

Preston Market Cross

https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/preston-market-cross

Find out more

Related Designations

  1. Preston,market crossSM90242

    Designation Type
    Scheduled Monument
    Status
    Designated
  2. Battle of PrestonpansBTL16

    Designation Type
    Battlefield
    Status
    Designated

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PRESTON, PRESTON CROSS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/08/2019 13:21