Around 1875. Single storey and attic, 3-bay and roughly square plan cottage of clay and boulder walling, all rendered with contrasting painted margins. Central door in north elevation masked by later 19th century gabled porch with decorative bargeboards flanked by enlarged windows.
4-pane timber sash and case glazing throughout. Single centre coped ridge stack on steeply pitched thatched roof with pair of diminutive attic lights to the north.
Single storey lean-to extension across full length of rear of house with a dormer window breaking the eaves.
Interior not seen, 2014.
Statement of Special Interest
Windyhill is a good example of a late 19th century domestic building constructed in the vernacular style, and prominently located on the historic High Street. The building has a good streetscape presence with its distinctive architectural features to the exterior, such as the thatch roof and projecting porch. It survives predominantly as it was constructed in the late 19th century. Windyhill is unusual in the context of other 18th and 19th century buildings as it is the only remaining thatched building in the village.
Dating to the late 19th century, the building first appears partially constructed on the 1st Edition 25 inch Ordnance Survey map (surveyed 1878, published 1881), but is not however visible on the 1st Edition 6 inch Ordnance Survey map (surveyed 1869, published 1872). The census from 1881 indicates that a family was living there in that year. The building is evident on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map, surveyed 1903.
The Buildings of Scotland Highlands and Islands volume notes that Ardersier was laid out by the Campbells of Cawdor in the 18th century. Ardersier has its origins in the communities of Stuarton and Campbelltown. Its strategic position close to the narrowest sea crossing across the Moray Firth played a large part in its development from the mid-18th century. While it functioned primarily as a fishing village, the Jacobite Rising had an impact on its history.
The Jacobite Rising of 1745–6 proved to be the last attempt by the Stewart dynasty to regain the British throne from the Hanoverians. Following the Battle of Culloden, the government introduced ruthless measures to suppress Jacobite ambitions. Fort George was one of them, and it was built between 1748-69, just a short distance from Ardersier. It was designed as the main garrison fortress in the Scottish Highlands and named after King George II (1727–60). Intended as an impregnable army base, it was designed on a monumental scale, using sophisticated defence standards, with heavy guns covering every angle. Within the boundary walls was accommodation for a governor, officers, and artillery detachment and a 1,600-strong infantry garrison. It also housed more than 80 guns, a magazine for 2,500 gunpowder barrels, ordnance and provision stores, a brewhouse and a chapel.
The Statistical Account for the parish of Petty notes that, 'In the village of Campbelltown, which owes its birth to the garrison of Fort-George, there are 293 souls.' The ordnance survey map of 1881 (surveyed 1878) shows Ardersier under its previous names of Stuarton at the left side of the village, and Campbelltown, at the right side of the village. The village became known officially as Ardersier in the 1970s.
The impact of the building of Fort George for the community was significant. It provided a ready market for goods and a number of soldiers also decided to stay in Ardersier following their commission
Category changed from B to C, statutory address and listed building record revised in 2015. Previously listed as 'Ardersier Village, Windyhill, High Street'.
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID 99002
Ordnance Survey. (1881) Inverness-shire (Mainland). 25 inch to mile. 1st Edition. London: Ordnance Survey.
Statistical Account (1791-99) Ardersier, County of Inverness, Vol.4. p.88-91.
New Statistical Account (1834-45) Ardersier, County of Inverness, .tistical Account,urvey.group oric architecturla cular buildings as Vol 14. p.462-473.
Stell, G (1981) 'Crucks in Scotland: a provisional list'. In Alcock, NW, Cruck construction: An introduction and catalogue. Council for British Archaeology, Research Report no. 42. London. p.84.
Gifford, J. (1992). Buildings of Scotland: Highland and Islands. London: Penguin Books. p.148.
www.ardersier.org/history/origins-of-ardersier (accessed 14-08-14)
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to Windyhill, 85 High Street, Ardersier
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 21/01/2019 11:25