Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

LUGGATE BURN, OLD SCHOOL HOUSE AND FORMER SCHOOLLB17509

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
27/11/1990
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
Parish
Whittingehame
NGR
NT 60037 74281
Coordinates
360037, 674281

Description

William Burn, 1831. Gabled single storey attic school

house and single storey school room adjoined. Squared,

stugged and coursed red and pink sandstone, with

droved, chamfered reveals. Deeply overhanging eaves.

W ELEVATION: asymmetrical 3-bay. Narrow entrance block

at centre, with flush-panelled door, intercepted to right

by broader advanced gabled bay, doorway in N

re-entrant. Timber mullioned bipartites to outer ground

floor windows, single in attic, that at left breaking eaves

in gabled dormerhead.

S ELEVATION: prominent advanced set-off stack cutting

eaves. Single windows to both floors to right, with

gabled dormerhead.

SCHOOL: rectangular plan school-room adjoined to SE

corner of school house, with 3 large windows to W;

gabled porch projecting from S end of school-room at E

side, with doorway to W.

Plate glass sash and case windows to school house,

6-pane to school-room. Large grey slates. Variety of coped

single, paired and triples diamond stacks. Small ball

finials.

Statement of Special Interest

One of 3 cottages built at Luggate Burn, commissioned by

James Balfour to replace the focus of the earlier, ruinous

focus of village of Whittingehame. Site by the burn was

controversial the ground being liable to flooding. The

3 buildings form an attractive and historically important

group.

References

Bibliography

Marshall B Lang SEVEN AGES OF AN EAST LOTHIAN PARISH (1929).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to LUGGATE BURN, OLD SCHOOL HOUSE AND FORMER SCHOOL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 17:26