Circa 1850. Fine, early quadrangular steading of
Improvement period. Squared and snecked red
sandstone, stugged, with droved dressings. Lying-pane
glazing pattern to sash and case windows. Crowstepped
gabled with beak skewputts and formerly with ball finials.
Grey slates. Diamond stacks, some linked.
NE ELEVATION: 15-bay. Tall segmental pend entrance at
centre with chamfered arrises to jambs and small granary
window above; 5 bays flanking each side with segmental
cart-arches, chamfered jambs as above, and granary
windows above; arch left of pend later blocked in brick
with door and window inserted. Slightly advanced,
crowstepped, gabled outer bays, each of 2 bays with
doorways flanked by windows at ground and hayloft doors
above at centre.
SW ELEVATION: asymmetrical, former cottage range, single
storey at centre, 2-storey outer bays. Doorway at
centre, flanked by further doors and cottage windows to
each side; slightly advanced gabled outer bays each of
3 bays and 2 storeys; S gables with kennels at ground
dog run with coped, railed walled courtyard in front;
doorway flanked by round-arched glazed narrow windows
to outer left gable; both gables with hayloft doors
flanked by granary windows to upper storeys, the door
to left blocked and windows glazed for cottage use.
SE ELEVATION: hayloft above assorted ancillary buildings
including stables and slaughter house; pedestrian
doorways in irregular grouping with windows currently
blocked and hayloft windows above.
NE ELEVATION: engine house projecting from N end, with
yellow brick, circular section stalk, with moulded neck
INTERIOR: covered cattle court added 1879, with cast-iron
columns and timber beams, covering entire quadrangle;
boarded timber stalls and cart divisions. Stone steps in
cartshed leading to granary. Cast-iron range and grates
retained in cottages.
Statement of Special Interest
The steading was built to replace the earlier Home Farm
of the Whittingehame Estate, which lay to the E. It is
important as a large and early example of a green field
site design, incorporating fine stables, dairy and kennels,
and with cottages included in one range. The style of
building, masonry treatment and diamond stacks, all
suggest that the design emanated from the office of Burn
and Bryce, which had executed many other works on the
estate. The 1879 work was almost certainly by John
Farquharson of Haddington, who altered the farm cottages
opposite the steading and built the manager's house (both
listed separately), a few years previously. Such a covered
court is notable for its early date and extent. Further
additions and alterations were made to the interior of the
steading circa 1879 and additions to the upper floors of the
ranges. The former dairy, projecting from the left of the
SE elevation, now derelict, dated from 1850, and
comprised a verandah, louvred shutters, chimneypiece, blue
and white enamel tiles and slate shelves.