Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

WHITTINGEHAME TOWER, PAVILION LODGES AND GATEPIERS (E LODGE KNOWN AS GARDENER'S HOUSE)LB17502

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
05/02/1971
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
Parish
Whittingehame
NGR
NT 60133 73482
Coordinates
360133, 673482

Description

Early to mid 18th century, pair of Baroque gate lodges

and giant gatepiers, with E lodge altered probably circa

1820. Red sandstone ashlar, with squared and snecked

rubble later work. Small-pane glazing pattern to sash

and case windows; grey slates.

W LODGE: unaltered. Pedimented tripartite N elevation;

fluted pilasters with ashlar bands and egg and dart

capitals; architraved openings, with segmental pediment to

door at centre, and pedimented windows in outer bays

with panelled aprons. Metopes and triglyphs to frieze

with varied paterae and 3 heraldic crests above door.

Dentil cornice and pediment with oculus in apex. Urn

finials to apex and end dies. E elevation of 3 bays, with

fluted pilaster detailed as N elevation to right corner

and plain pilaster to left. Recessed bay at centre with

architraved tripartite window; outer bays blank. Frieze,

moulded cornice and blocking course. S elevation blank,

again with urn finials. Ridge ventilator.

E LODGE: N elevation identical to E Lodge. Other

elevations altered when made L-plan circa 1820. S

elevation in 3 wide ashlar bays; plain Doric pilasters

flanking door and to corners; pedimented porch with

Doric columns, at centre, with doorway set in recessed

panel. Minimal paterae to frieze; moulded cornice and

blocking course; urn finials to corners only. W elevation

in snecked masonry with 2 architraved windows grouped

towards S; eaves band course, moulded cornice and

blocking course. Moulded coping to ridge stacks.

Sections of retaining walls at right angles, adjoined to

Lodge at NE.

GATEPIERS: pair of large, square red sandstone ashlar

Baroque gatepiers, with ornamented urn finial, set

directly between lodges.

Each with paired attached Doric columns to N side on

bases, blank E and W sides; round arched keystoned

niche to S, with swag carved below and floral swags

above. Dentilled and moulded cornice.

Statement of Special Interest

W Lodge currently in poor condition. The group

introduced the avenue to Whittingehame Tower, currently

out of service. The early 18th century date seems the

more probable, when the commission would have come from

William Hay of Drumelzier who inherited the estate in

1695, and could have occurred upto 1726, when he died.

Similarities with William Adam's designs for Mavisbank

in 1723 place him in a strong position as author

of the Whittingehame work. The mid 18th century date would

suggest that pattern books had been consulted, such as James

Gibbs RULES FOR DRAWING THE SEVERAL PARTS OF ARCHITECTURE

(1732), or any one of a series of publications of Inigo

Jones designs, by William Kent, Isaac Ware and John

Vardy: the patron would probably be Alexander Hay, who

succeeded William's widow in 1752. The estate plan of 1759

(RHP.2515) shows the Lodges completed. The estate plans

also indicate quadrant walls, though in 2 different

positions; that of 1759 gives a shallow curve to S, possibly

linked to gatepiers, while that of 1871 indicates a bold

northward curve, in no way connected to the piers.

References

Bibliography

SRO Whittingehame Estate Plans RHP.2515 and RHP.2522.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to WHITTINGEHAME TOWER, PAVILION LODGES AND GATEPIERS (E LODGE KNOWN AS GARDENER'S HOUSE)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/07/2019 06:23