Probably Sir Robert Smirke, circa 1820. U-plan stable
court with engine house block probably added to N soon
after, and further later alterations; currently converted
to 6 houses. Red sandstone, squared and coursed to
inner elevations, Cullalo stone to S and E rear
extensions. Base course and band course dividing
storeys on exterior; cornice.
E RANGE: originally 11-bay exterior, symmetrical,
arranged 1-3-3-3-1; slightly advanced, pedimented single
storey and attic centre bays, blind arcade at ground
(doorway at centre and 2 hayloft openings). 3 bays
flanking divided by pilasters, doorway to right. Outer
bays slightly advanced with blind arched recesses. Outer
engine house bay to right; wide machinery door and
hayloft door. Courtyard elevation with 4 advanced bays
of carriage and hayloft section at centre; tall carriage
openings, boarded doors; hayloft openings with
semi-circular dormerheads; pedimented returns.
3 recessed bays flanking, filled to left, and with lean-to
shelter to right.
N RANGE: symmetrical; 5-bay, advanced engine house
block to exterior at left, slightly advanced, pedimented
centre 3-bays. Windows to each bay at both floors.
Modern addition at ground to left. Courtyard elevation
with 5 slightly advanced bays to right, with machinery
door (now filled with door and window) flanked by
windows. 3 small 1st floor windows. Doorway in
S RANGE: 7-bay exterior elevation with blind arcaded
ground floor, 5 windows, 2 doors; 3 pedimented, slightly
advanced bays to right; 2 1st floor windows to right and
shallow depressed archway (blocked with window) and
window above. Small-pane glazing to sash and case windows
and some modern casements. Grey slates, modern skylights.
Coped ashlar ridge and wallhead stacks; decorative cans
retained. Cobbled court with saltire cross.
QUADRANT WALLS: coursed walls with ashlar coping, closing
court to W; simple square ashlar gatepiers.
TERRACE WALL: by N elevation on falling ground. Rubble
with semi-circular coping and ashlar dies; further
quadrant by drive with pyramid capped pier.