Dated 1892. Improvement steading of one-build. Red
sandstone, squared, snecked and stugged with ashlar
dressings. Crowstepped gables with beaked skewputts.
Grey and purple slates, and pantiles to S range and
cattle courts to S; ridge ventilators. Engine House
projecting from N range at centre.
E RANGE: tall depressed-arch keystoned pend in slightly
advanced gabled bay, with date panel in apex;
decoratively boarded and railed timber gates; 2 gabled
dormerheads breaking eaves each side in single storey plants,
door to right; 2-storey bays to outer right with gabled
hayloft door to upper storey at centre, flanked by windows.
S RANGE: symmetrical. 3 machinery doorways with sliding
doors and slightly advanced gabled outer bays with
depressed arch entrance in right gable, and later
machinery door in left gable.
CARTSHED: on N elevation to E, of 4 bays, with timber
lintel and rectangular pillars; granary windows above and
to right. Cattle courts with canopied feeding areas on
cast-iron columns with awban (cattle tethering-posts) and
feeding doors, entered from S range by lugged openings
with rounded jambs.
STALK: circular section yellow brick stalk, ornamented with
band of grey brick and moulded neck and coping, set on
N range by engine house.
Statement of Special Interest
Listed category B as a late example of a typical East Lothian
steading, bearing details more common to those of mid or
later 19th century (for example, the cattle courts).
Whittingehame Mains Farmhouse to E (listed separately) was
built on site of earlier steading.