Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

WHITTINGEHAME, LADY ELEANOR'S COTTAGE WITH BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGSLB17492

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
27/11/1990
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
Parish
Whittingehame
NGR
NT 60476 73930
Coordinates
360476, 673930

Description

William Burn 1833. Single storey, picturesque gabled

cottage ornee. Stugged squared and snecked red

sandstone with droved borders to chamfered arrises and

dressings; base course. Windows mainly bipartite with

timber mullions.

S ELEVATION: asymmetrical 3-bay. Advanced gabled porch

at centre with curved corners to lintel of wide doorway;

armorial panel in apex; 2-leaf door. Gabled bay to left

with 4-light stone roof canted window. Gable-headed

bipartite window in projecting panel to outer right.

Recessed, lower eaved projection to E, with bipartite to S

return.

Plate glass sash and case windows with some modern

glazing inserted. Large grey slates. Decoratively coped

barley sugar stacks. Distinctive scrolled barge boarding

with kingposts and finials added 1839 to all gables.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: rubble retaining walls with

semi-circular coping, ashlar coped by gate with

wrought-iron railings.

Statement of Special Interest

Built originally as School House. Similar barge boarding

used by David Bryce on Bowerhouse Lodge, Spott, and on East

Lodge to Archerfield, Dirleton. Lady Eleanor (nee Maitland,

d.1869) was the wife of James Balfour who bought the

estate in 1817. Redcliff, to N, was built just prior to the

cottage, and is listed separately; both are erected on site

of former village of Whittingehame (see RHP.2516 of 1793).

References

Bibliography

Whittingehame Estate plans.

CHURCHES (1957).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to WHITTINGEHAME, LADY ELEANOR'S COTTAGE WITH BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/05/2019 22:01