Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

DRUMSTURDY ROAD, LAWS LODGE AND GATEPIERSLB17482

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
15/12/1989
Local Authority
Angus
Planning Authority
Angus
Parish
Monifieth
NGR
NO 48148 35227
Coordinates
348148, 735227

Description

Circa 1836. Single-storey, L-plan with additions, Elizabethan style lodge.

Cherry-cocked masonry, mostly with details pointed over, slate roof.

Skew gables with stepped copes, gablet skew ends and scroll apex stones. Inharmonious uPVC windows throughout.

W ELEVATION: gable at left, bipartite window with chamfered margins, St George?s cross armorial in gable with modern horizontal window immediately above; entrance porch at re-entrant angle, Tudor arch with modern in-fill and door, 2 finialled pediments, later addition at right, corniced central ridge stack with 2 corniced angle stalks.

N ELEVATION: 2 slightly advanced gables, each with bipartite windows with chamfered margins, and gun slits.

E ELEVATION: advanced modern addition at left masking original wallhead stack as above; original gable at right as at W elevation (gun slit instead of armorial in gable).

5 square-plan chamfered and tapered gatepiers with decorative cast-iron railings on low stone wall.

Statement of Special Interest

Lodge to demolished Laws House, similar to smaller lodge at Laws Hill.

References

Bibliography

J Malcolm, PARISH OF MONIFIETH, (1910), p190; FORFARSHIRE ILLUSTRATED, (1848), p71; NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, xi, p548; A Warden, ANGUS OF FORFARSHIRE, iv, p406; 1865 Ordnance Survey map.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DRUMSTURDY ROAD, LAWS LODGE AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/06/2019 16:07