Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

63 and 64 High Street, ArdersierLB1746

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
17/04/1986
Last Date Amended
09/07/2015
Supplementary Information Updated
15/01/2018
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Ardersier
NGR
NH 78161 55214
Coordinates
278161, 855214

Description

Later 18th century. Pair of 2-storey cottages, each of 3 bays and of varying width with irregular fenestration. Rubble with contrasting painted ashlar margins, No 64 with rendered front elevation and whitewashed gable to the south return. End stack and ridge stack to No 64 with thack stanes. Slate roofs with stone skews.

No 64 has ground and first floor windows in return gable to the south and varied glazing pattern and materials. A 2-storey rear extension to the west of No 64, probably dating to the late 19th century, has a 20th century single storey lean-to attached.

No 63 has a blind central 1st floor window with painted dummy 12-pane glazing. All other openings boarded up (2014).

Interior not seen, 2014.

Statement of Special Interest

Situated in the centre of Ardersier, the houses at 63 and 64 High Street are important examples of traditional late 18th century village houses. Comprising two storeys, and set together with exposed gabled ends, these buildings form a distinctive street elevation. As is typical of properties of this period, the first floor windows are set close to the eaves. The buildings appear with largely the same footprint as it has now on the six inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map of 1872, which was surveyed in 1869. The two storey extension to the west is possibly of late 19th century date as it is evident on the 25 inch, 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map (1881).

The Buildings of Scotland Highlands and Islands volume notes that Ardersier was laid out by the Campbells of Cawdor in the 18th century. Ardersier has its origins in the communities of Stuarton and Campbelltown. Its strategic position close to the narrowest sea crossing across the Moray Firth played a large part in its development from the mid-18th century. While it functioned primarily as a fishing village, the Jacobite Rising had an impact on its history.

The Jacobite Rising of 1745–6 proved to be the last attempt by the Stewart dynasty to regain the British throne from the Hanoverians. Following the Battle of Culloden, the government introduced ruthless measures to suppress Jacobite ambitions. Fort George was one of them, and it was built between 1748-69, just a short distance from Ardersier. It was designed as the main garrison fortress in the Scottish Highlands and named after King George II (1727–60). Intended as an impregnable army base, it was designed on a monumental scale, using sophisticated defence standards, with heavy guns covering every angle. Within the boundary walls was accommodation for a governor, officers, and artillery detachment and a 1,600-strong infantry garrison. It also housed more than 80 guns, a magazine for 2,500 gunpowder barrels, ordnance and provision stores, a brewhouse and a chapel.

The Statistical Account for the parish of Ardersier notes that, 'In the village of Campbelltown, which owes its birth to the garrison of Fort-George, there are 293 souls.' The ordnance survey map of 1881 (surveyed 1878) shows Ardersier under its previous names of Stuarton at the left side of the village, and Campbelltown, at the right side of the village. The village became known officially as Ardersier in the 1970s.

The impact of the building of Fort George for the community was significant. It provided a ready market for goods and a number of soldiers also decided to stay in Ardersier following their commission

Category changed from B to C, statutory address and listed building record revised in 2015. Previously listed as 'Ardersier Village, 63, 64 High Street'.

References

Bibliography

Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID 174500 & 250953

Ordnance Survey. (1871) Nairnshire, Sheet III. 6 inch to mile. 1st Edition. London: Ordnance Survey.

Statistical Account (1791-99) Ardersier, County of Inverness, Vol.4. p.88-91.

New Statistical Account (1834-45) Ardersier, County of Inverness, .tistical Account,urvey.group oric architecturla cular buildings as Vol 14. p.462-473.

Gifford, J. (1992). Buildings of Scotland: Highland and Islands. London: Penguin Books. p.148.

www.ardersier.org/history/origins-of-ardersier (accessed 14-08-14)

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 63 and 64 High Street, Ardersier

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 14/11/2018 09:27