Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

SOUTH BALLUDERON FARM, STEADING INCLUDING STACKYARD WALLS, IMPLEMENT SHED, FIELD TROUGH AND MILL DAM WITH WALLSLB17458

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
30/06/1989
Local Authority
Angus
Planning Authority
Angus
Parish
Tealing
NGR
NO 37554 38078
Coordinates
337554, 738078

Description

Mill at NW corner circa 1800; N, S, E and W ranges ear;y 19th century; cattle courts and addition to S range later 19th century. Single, 2- and 3-storey, near quadrangular plan, farm steading sited on falling ground. Rubble masonry with some broad droved dressings, long and short quoins; piended roofs of stone slate, slate, corrugated sheet metal and bitumen impregnated paper; boarded doors.

N RANGE:

N ELEVATION: slightly advanced threshing barn (circa 1800) at right with droved quoins and large 2-leaf hayloft door. Byre and feeding stance at left (early 19th century); 1o feeding doors at ground with droved margins (4 at right with openings enlarged by breaking into lintels), later sliding door to turnip shed at centre. 7 irregular windows to hayloft and granary at 1st floor, hayloft door breaking eaves in gabled dormerhead second bay from left. Stone and welsh slate roof, bitumen impregnated corrugated paper on S pitch.

S ELEVATION: 5-bay. 2-storey straw barn (circa 1800) at left (W range abutting at lower part) with large droved quoins, entrance at re-entrant, stone slate roof. Passage at right with later lean-to slate roof leading to blocked segmental arch of feeding stance (early 19th century), and entrance to cattle court at right (later 19th century); 3 further arches (timber safe, 1 blocked) to former S (courtyard) elevation of N range. Covered cattle court abutting at centre with rounded angle and sliding door; further cattle court advanced at right with supposed standing stone in re-entrant angle, rounded angle as left and 2 sliding doors; open slate roofs on both courts. Taller end bay of E range (early 19th century) at far right wiht door to poultry house, piended roof with slates at S, corrugated sheet metal elsewhere.

E RANGE:

E ELEVATION: cartshed, early 19th century; stone water trough at left, 4 segmental arches at centre and right, 1 with doors to gig house. Taller end elevation of N range at rigt with door to byre.

W RANGE:

W ELEVATION: Curved wall at left enclosing mill race (circa 1800) in re-entrant, window in bay above with remains of iron control mechanism at right, with 2 openings to wheel house, 2 windows at 1st floor and 1 window at 2nd floor; blank bays to straw barn recessed at right. Single storey early 19th century wing at far right with 2 blocked windows. Stone slate and corrugated sheet metal roof.

E ELEVATION: off-centre 2-leaf door to implement shed with large quoins; stable door at left re-entrant and byre door at right, galvanised roof. 2 storey threshing barn at far right with gate pins to former open cattle court.

S RANGE: 2 blocked doors to stables on S elevation; piended corrugated sheet metal roof. N elevation with sliding door to implement shed at left (later 19th century), stable door at right.

STACKYARD WALLS: rectangular yard at N enclosed by rubble wall; remains of shackle stanes.

IMPLEMENT SHED: former boiler house; single storey, rectangular plan, built on falling ground at S stackyard wall. Large 2-leaf door at S, truncated stack at N.

FIELD TROUGH: stone slab water trough in S extension of E stackyard wall, extending to field at E.

MILL DAM: separated from NE corner of steading by lane, pond drained. Rubble dam at S and walls at N (with bole on S side), E and W, sluice and some large lining slabs at main dam wall.

INTERIOR: many original fittings and equipment retained.

Mill: wrought-iron overshot waterwheel with drive mechansim connected to an early example of a Scottish threshing machine (patented by George Meikle, 1788), with elevator to straw barn; hand operated fanner and bagger in lower threshing barn. N range: stone slab water trough, timber and rubble feeding trough in feeding stance, cobbled floor, stone slab trevises and timber feeding hecks in byre; cattle cake cutter in hayloft granary. E range, cart sheds: timber floor and harness pegs in gig house; cattle courts: central raised feed passage with cast-iron column supporting timber beam, timber feeding hecks on E wall. S and W ranges: byre with cobbled floor and stone slab trevises; stables with raked cobbled floor and timber trevises; binder/reaper in implement store.

Statement of Special Interest

South Balluderon Farm was probably established during the 1790s following the disivion of the Balluderon estate into North and South BAlluderon. South Balluderon was owned by the Mount Family from circa 1870 and the steading ceased to be used in 1949 upon the death of George C Mount. Mount never adopted tractors and alterations to the steading were minimal, consequently it represents a rare example of an unaltered 19th century steading. The stone slates on the W range were partially replaced by corrugated sheet metal in 1957-9. Surviving equipment includes Scottish 'coup' and flatbed carts with zinc plates 'George C Mount, South Balluderon', nos 1 and 3 respectively stored in cart shed, with various related equipment suspended from the roof. There are various items of harness in the stables and ploughs, drill ploughs and harrows in the N implement shed. On the door from the upper threshing barn to the hayloft/granary are pencil written names and signatures of workers and members of the Mount family, the earliest dated 1808. A painting of the steading by McIntosh Patrick exists in a private collection. Proposals by David Miller of Ballumbie to build a new steading to the designs of James Balck in 1821 almost certainly refer to North Balluderon, itself much altered and not listed.

References

Bibliography

OS maps 1860, 1903.

Alexander J Warden, ANGUS OR FORFARSHIRE (1885), vol V, pp221-2.

Gilbert R Chalmers, '19th Century Grain Process In Angus', unpublished dissertation, RIBA, 1989.

DUNDEE ADVERTISER, 6 April 1821.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SOUTH BALLUDERON FARM, STEADING INCLUDING STACKYARD WALLS, IMPLEMENT SHED, FIELD TROUGH AND MILL DAM WITH WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/11/2018 11:34