Late 18th century. 2-storey and attic, 10-bay predominantly rectangular plan terraced row of 3 classically proportioned houses with single storey extensions to the rear, set prominently on the main street in the village. Tooled and stugged ashlar sandstone to east front elevation and rendered to rear. Dwelling to right (no 58) has 4 bays and an off-centre doorway with moulded architrave and double leaf timber panelled doors. Dwelling to centre (no 59) has 3 wide bays, with irregular ground floor fenestration and 2 double leaf doors. Door to right has stone panel above. Dwelling to left (no 60) has 3 bays, with single pane fenestration, off-centre doorway. There are small piended dormers in outer bays of raised roof to centre and left dwelling.
Predominantly 12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows, panelled end stacks, ashlar coped skews, and pitched slate roofs, raised at left (no 59 and no 60). Enlarged stacks to centre and left.
Interior not seen 2014.
Statement of Special Interest
Situated in the centre of Ardersier, the houses at 58, 59 and 60 High Street are important examples of substantial late 18th century village houses. Comprising two storeys with attics, set together, these buildings form a street elevation of some pretension. Constructed in the then fashionable classical style, they are built from ashlar and have predominantly evenly spaced bays with raised margins and a cill and eaves course. As is typical of properties of this period, the first floor windows are set close to the eaves. The buildings appear with largely the same footprint as it has now on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1881, which was surveyed in 1878.
It is likely that 58, 59 and 60 High Street were built as a direct consequence of the construction of the nearby Fort George and it echoes the simple classical proportions of the buildings at the fort.
The Buildings of Scotland Highlands and Islands volume notes that Ardersier was laid out by the Campbells of Cawdor in the 18th century. Ardersier has its origins in the communities of Stuarton and Campbelltown. Its strategic position close to the narrowest sea crossing across the Moray Firth played a large part in its development from the mid-18th century. While it functioned primarily as a fishing village, the Jacobite Rising had an impact on its history.
The Jacobite Rising of 1745–6 proved to be the last attempt by the Stewart dynasty to regain the British throne from the Hanoverians. Following the Battle of Culloden, the government introduced ruthless measures to suppress Jacobite ambitions. Fort George was one of them, and it was built between 1748-69, just a short distance from Ardersier. It was designed as the main garrison fortress in the Scottish Highlands and named after King George II (1727–60). Intended as an impregnable army base, it was designed on a monumental scale, using sophisticated defence standards, with heavy guns covering every angle. Within the boundary walls was accommodation for a governor, officers, and artillery detachment and a 1,600-strong infantry garrison. It also housed more than 80 guns, a magazine for 2,500 gunpowder barrels, ordnance and provision stores, a brewhouse and a chapel.
The Statistical Account for the parish of Ardersier notes that, 'In the village of Campbelltown, which owes its birth to the garrison of Fort-George, there are 293 souls.' The ordnance survey map of 1881 (surveyed 1878) shows Ardersier under its previous names of Stuarton at the left side of the village, and Campbelltown, at the right side of the village. The village became known officially as Ardersier in the 1970s.
The impact of the building of Fort George for the community was significant. It provided a ready market for goods and a number of soldiers also decided to stay in Ardersier following their commission.
Statutory address and listed building record updated in 2015. Previously listed as 'Ardersier Village, 58, 59, 60 High Street (R-L)'
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID 104116
Ordnance Survey (1881) Nairnshire, Sheet III. 6 inch to mile. 1st Edition. London: Ordnance Survey.
Statistical Account (1791-99) Ardersier, County of Inverness, Vol. 4. p.88-91.
New Statistical Account (1834-45) Ardersier, County of Inverness, .tistical Account,urvey.group oric architecturla cular buildings as Vol 14. p.462-473.
Gifford, J. (1992) Buildings of Scotland: Highland and Islands. London: Penguin Books. p.148.
www.ardersier.org/history/origins-of-ardersier (accessed 14-08-14)
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 58, 59, 60 High Street, Ardersier
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 21/11/2018 08:12