Late 18th century. 2-storey and attic, symmetrical 5-bay house with single storey gabled wing to the rear. Painted ashlar sandstone with contrasting painted ashlar margins and dressings, stone cills and squared tooled rubble flanks. Central double leaf timber door with moulded architrave, flanked by 2 window openings (those to left replacing door and window to former shop around 1986). Banded cill course at first floor; a pair of small square piended attic dormers in outer bays above.
12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Scrolled skewputts with cable moulding, flat stone skews, and panelled end stacks. Slate roof with zinc ridge.
Interior not seen 2014.
Statement of Special Interest
Situated in the centre of Ardersier, 57 High Street is an important example of a substantial late 18th century village house. Comprising five bays and two storeys with an attic it is a building of some pretension. Constructed in the then fashionable classical style, it is built from ashlar and has evenly spaced bays with raised margins and a cill and eaves course. As is typical of properties of this period, the first floor windows are set close to the eaves. It appears with largely the same footprint as it has now on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1881, which was surveyed in 1878.
The street elevation appears largely as it would have when constructed. The previous listed building record of 1986 noted that there was a later shop front on the ground floor. This has now been removed.
It is likely that 57 High Street was built as a direct consequence of the construction of the nearby Fort George and it echoes the simple classical proportions of the buildings at the fort.
The Buildings of Scotland Highlands and Islands volume notes that Ardersier was laid out by the Campbells of Cawdor in the 18th century. Ardersier has its origins in the communities of Stuarton and Campbelltown. Its strategic position close to the narrowest sea crossing across the Moray Firth played a large part in its development from the mid-18th century. While it functioned primarily as a fishing village, the Jacobite Rising had an impact on its history.
The Jacobite Rising of 1745–6 proved to be the last attempt by the Stewart dynasty to regain the British throne from the Hanoverians. Following the Battle of Culloden, the government introduced ruthless measures to suppress Jacobite ambitions. Fort George was one of them, and it was built between 1748-69, just a short distance from Ardersier. It was designed as the main garrison fortress in the Scottish Highlands and named after King George II (1727–60). Intended as an impregnable army base, it was designed on a monumental scale, using sophisticated defence standards, with heavy guns covering every angle. Within the boundary walls was accommodation for a governor, officers, and artillery detachment and a 1,600-strong infantry garrison. It also housed more than 80 guns, a magazine for 2,500 gunpowder barrels, ordnance and provision stores, a brewhouse and a chapel.
The Statistical Account for the parish of Petty notes that, 'In the village of Campbelltown, which owes its birth to the garrison of Fort-George, there are 293 souls.' The ordnance survey map of 1881 (surveyed 1878) shows Ardersier under its previous names of Stuarton at the left side of the village, and Campbelltown, at the right side of the village. The village became known officially as Ardersier in the 1970s.
The impact of the building of Fort George for the community was significant. It provided a ready market for goods and a number of soldiers also decided to stay in Ardersier following their commission.
Statutory address and listed building record updated in 2015. Previously listed as 'Ardersier Village, 57 High Street'.
Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID 98994
Ordnance Survey. (1881) Nairnshire, Sheet III. 6 inch to mile. 1st Edition. London: Ordnance Survey.
Statistical Account (1791-99) Ardersier, County of Inverness, Vol. 4. p.88-91.
New Statistical Account (1834-45) Ardersier, County of Inverness, .tistical Account,urvey.group oric architecturla cular buildings as Vol 14. p.462-473.
Gifford, J. (1992). Buildings of Scotland: Highland and Islands. London: Penguin Books. p.148.
www.ardersier.org/history/origins-of-ardersier (accessed 14-08-14)
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 57 High Street, Ardersier
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 23/01/2019 01:10