Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
NT 84958 50514
384958, 650514


Earlier to mid 19th century re-working (?) incorporating earlier fabric and with later additions and alterations. Near square-plan, plain farmhouse with near-symmetrical, 3-bay entrance front (pedimented at centre); single storey additions at rear. Harled rubble sandstone (exposed in part); polished sandstone dressings (lightly droved in part). Raised base course; corniced ground floor windows to front; moulded eaves course. Narrow strip quoins (rubble quoins to side); sandstone mullions; projecting cills. Former coach-house adjoining rectangular-plan outbuilding to E. Near square-plan walled garden to E.

SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: part-glazed timber panelled door centred at ground; batwing fanlight; corniced doorpiece; single window aligned at 1st floor; blind oculus centred in pediment. Projecting tripartite window at ground in bay to outer right; single window at 1st floor. 3-light canted window at ground in bay to outer left; single window above.

NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: irregularly fenestrated 4-bay main block (painted imitation window at 1st floor in bay to outer left). Single window centred in single storey wing recessed to outer right.

2-, 6- and 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Tall grey slate piended roof to main block; grey slate roofs at rear. Red brick wallhead stacks; circular terracotta cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen 1997.

COACH-HOUSE, SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: sandstone and whinstone rubble; tooled sandstone dressings. Boarded timber door at ground in bay to outer left; lintel embossed "WH.MA.1668" incorporated from earlier property on or near site. 2-leaf boarded timber doors to segmental- arched carriage openings in 2 bays to right; square-headed windows aligned above; panel inscribed "MT.BT. 1925-36 Rebuilt 1938" set between. Boarded timber door in screen wall linking rectangular-plan outbuilding to E. Grey slate piended roof; pyramidal-capped central ventilator surmounted by weathervane. INTERIOR: not seen 1997. OUTBUILDING, SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: boarded timber door off-set to right of centre; blind bay to left; blocked opening centred in apex above. Grey slate roof; raised stone skews. INTERIOR: not seen 1997.

WALLED GARDEN: rubble coped rubble wall enclosing near square-plan garden to E; cast-iron gates.

BOUNDARY WALLS: coped rubble walls enclosing site.

Statement of Special Interest

Originally called Langrigg. With its tall piended roof, pedimented entrance front, batwing fanlight and timber sash and case windows, the house has retained some good detailing. The associated outbuildings and nearby walled garden suggest a dignified permanence and continuity.



THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND Vol II (1845) p170; appears on Ordnance Survey map, 1856.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to RAVELAW FARMHOUSE (FORMERLY LANGRIGG) INCLUDING OUTBUILDINGS, WALLED GARDEN AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 07/06/2020 01:51