Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

BOWLAND POLICIES, NORTH GATE LODGELB17397

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - See Notes
Date Added
07/11/2007
Supplementary Information Updated
04/03/2009
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Stow
NGR
NT 45373 39991
Coordinates
345373, 639991

Description

Circa 1820. 2-storey castellated-gothic revival gate lodge at north entrance to Bowland Estate comprising square-plan lodge with adjoining Tudor-arched vehicle and pedestrian gateways to right and octagonal turret to far right. Coursed black whinstone with pale sandstone ashlar dressings, some broached. Base course; first-floor cill course; corbelled and machicolated parapet. Curved parapet wall to left.

Timber-mullioned, hoodmoulded Tudor windows to lodge; slit windows to turret (predominantly blind). Diamond-paned leaded casement windows. Identical front and rear elevations. Flat-roofed single-storey extension to S (side) elevation.

Swept, spear-headed iron gates with trefoil pattern and pointed-arch forms and pinecone finials.

Statement of Special Interest

B-group with 'Bowland House Including Garden Cottages, Walled Garden and Garage Block' (see separate listing).

This is a striking and well-detailed example of an early 19th century Castellated-Gothic Revival gate lodge with a commanding presence at the entrance to the Bowland Estate. It is possible that eminent architect James Gillespie Graham had a hand in the design of the gate lodge, as the treatment closely resembles his work at the main house, carried out around the same time.

Change of category from C(S) to B and list description updated at resurvey (2009).

References

Bibliography

shown on 1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1857). Kitty Cruft, John Dunbar and Richard Fawcett, The Buildings of Scotland: Borders (2006), p134.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BOWLAND POLICIES, NORTH GATE LODGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/12/2019 01:41