Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
NY 05688 75557
305688, 575557


Composite L-plan house probably incorporating tower house at

west; present form established probably first half 18th

century; some windows enlarged early 19th century, and

interior re-modelled circa 1880 by James Barbour; further

alterations by J M Bowie circa 1915. House faces south west;

3 storeys; whitewashed rubble with red ashlar margins;

regularly placed small-paned sash windows. Stair turret in

re-entrant angle with small windows, blocked door and

shallow-pitched roof; main door alongside (by Bowie -

replacing Barbour's porch) in east range with crest above, 2

bays beyond. West range extends one bay from stair turret and

is blank at ground; small, low ground floor (bar) windows to

north west elevation, fire escape against south east gable.

Stair windows (by Barbour) at rear above modern function

room, and outbuildings, latter 2 storeys 3 bays with T-plan

roof and now linked with house. Corniced stacks; slate roofs.

Interior: turnpike stair in turret; wooden stair by Barbour

to rear above ground floor (lower part presumably removed

when function room was built); irregular narrow corridor

between 2 ranges runs length of house; some decorative 19th

century plasterwork in east range; barrel-vaulted ceiling of

bar is dummy at north end at least. Square gatepiers

(presumably by either Barbour or Bowie) have projecting caps

with engaged ball finials; curved, low quadrant walls with

spiked cast-iron railings; gates similar.

Statement of Special Interest

Home of Grierson of Lag, "Lag the persecutor" (Scott's


Stone table on lawn to west, dated September 1720, said to

have been a marriage stone.

Sketch by W C Aitken in Dumfries museum shows present bar

(then kitchen) without vault at north end (copy of sketch in


Fergusson, THE LAIRD OF LAG, 1886, notes on p.121 a sasine of

Rockhall dated 1.5.1610 which mentions "all and haill the

place of Rockhall laitlie biggit be the said Sir William"




Barbour and Bowie's Plans, mostly dated 1880 or 1915 held by

Sutherland Dickie and Copeland, Dumfries (Copies in NMRS)

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ROCKHALL HOTEL AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2024 23:06