Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

NEW ABBEY VILLAGE ST MARY'S RC CHURCH AND PRESBYTERYLB17311

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
26/06/1986
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
New Abbey
NGR
NX 96666 66095
Coordinates
296666, 566095

Description

Walter Newall, architect. Built circa 1824. T-plan presbytery

and rectangular church combined in cruciform-plan

arrangement. White granite rubble, red ashlar dressings, west

wing of presbytery harled. Presbytery is 2 storeys, most

windows hood-moulded, string at cill level to either floor,

sash windows mostly small-paned; bipartites in north gable,

projecting ground floor bipartite in west gable; low, lean-to

in either re-entrant angle (porch at north) beside window in

tall pointed panel.

Church has 2 bays, pointed windows with wooden Y-tracery

(hood-moulded to north elevation), blind Tudor-arched window

to east gable, above gabled porch. Brick stack rises above

south wall. All main gables cross-finialed, shaped skews

above heavy corbels over wall-head. Roofed with graded

slates.

Interior of chapel: 2 leaded windows, that to north by Maver

& Co, Munich, after 1888, that to south, in similar style,

after 1901.

Cusped wooden panelling to sanctuary walls, and painted

Madonna and child, J G MacLellan of Dumfries, artist. Sundial

to west on plain octagonal granite column, bronze dial

inscribed "John Copland, fecit, May 1827"; designed for New

Abbey latitude.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

SRO plan include alternative design with cusped-traceried

windows.

References

Bibliography

SRO

RHP 3545

Groome, GAZETTEER vol V, p102

NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT p.251 (gives date as circa 1827).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NEW ABBEY VILLAGE ST MARY'S RC CHURCH AND PRESBYTERY

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/08/2019 17:37