Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

SHAMBELLIE HOUSELB17306

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
04/11/1971
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
New Abbey
NGR
NX 96050 66617
Coordinates
296050, 566617

Description

David Bryce, architect. Dated 1856. Scottish Baronial mansion

house.

2-storeys with attics over raised basement. Squared white

granite blocks, partly cherry-caulked, contrasting red ashlar

margins, quoins, crow-steps, corbels and dressings. Gabled

porch in south west re-entrant angle below ground floor

level, door in lugged architrave, continuous string over

basement raised over plaque above door; 2 outer gables to

west elevation; twin gables to south; east elevation: 2

canted ground floor windows, that to right, in tall gabled

bay, splayed inwards at basement, corbelled to chamfer at 1st

floor, and to square at main eaves level; conical-roofed

bartizan to right; other window with ball finials, 2 1st

floor windows above with pedimented dormer heads; deeply

recessed right bay corbelled above ground floor,

conical-roofed turret in re-entrant angle, rising above

eaves, with weathervane finial. Sash windows with small

panes, central lugs to most window jambs. Coped wall-head or

apex stacks; slate roofs, with fish-scaling to conical roofs.

Interior (attics completed 1866 by James Barbour of

Dumfries, architect): some good timberwork (eg on stair) and

cornice plasterwork.

Statement of Special Interest

Built for William Stewart. Now a museum of Costume (opened

1982).

Bryce's original drawings (1854) for a more ambitious project

than that carried out.

A dispute between architect and client resulted in Barbour of

Dumfries being asked to complete the building.

Barbour produced scheme for additions 1897 (not executed)

(copies in NMRS).

References

Bibliography

Family papers held by Mr Stewart, Glenharvie.

Bryce & Barbour drawings held by Royal Scottish Museum

(Copies in NMRS).

Pub. University of Edinburgh, MR DAVID BRYCE, 1976

(Exhibition Catalogue)

A Rowan, SHAMBELLIE HOUSE, 1982.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SHAMBELLIE HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 08:33