Cistercian Abbey founded 10.4.1273 by Devorgilla Baliol.
Gothic. Church is roofless, though largely entire, having
6-bay nave with clerestory and aisles, transepts, unaisled
presbytery and massive square tower over crossing (parapet to
latter enclosing crow-stepped gables all additions).
Cloistral and attendant buildings demolished in 17th and 18th
centuries (cloister west gateway survives). Red Sandstone
ashlar. West end repaired and large window partly blocked
late 14th century. Door in windowless south aisle; only 2
bays remain of north aisle; nave clerestory windows within
semi-circular arches except 2 east bays; transepts project 1
bay beyond aisles, and both have eastern chapels (roof
vaulting survives at south); north transept has angle stair
turret, south transept gable has incomplete wheel window
arranged to abut cloistrol range. Presbytery with
Some of high precinct wall survives to north and to east:
built of massive polygonal white granite blocks.