Circa 1815 with mid-19th century villa with additional east
and west wings, forming cruciform plan. 2-storey house over
raised basement, symmetrical 3-bay frontage. Rubble with
tooled ashlar dressings.
Main south front; centre door with side lights and fanlight
approached by semi-circular flight shallow steps oversailing
raised basement. Corniced portico supported by paired slender Roman-Doric columns (2 pairs), flanked by tall outer bay
windows. 3-bay side elevations each have short projecting
later centre wings, to west with large corbelled oriel window
in ground floor and jerkin headed gable head; mainly 12-pane
glazing. 4 symmetrical batteries of ridge stacks, those to
front linked by continuous cornice and all with cast-iron
cans; shallow piended slate roofs, with rear valley. Garage
doors slapped in east elevation of raised basement.
Interior: drawing room (west) and dining room have decorative
plaster cornices, Greek key-patterned in drawing room and egg
and dart in dining room.
Coped rubble walled garden with brick lining.
Statement of Special Interest
Additional wings already appear on 1st edition OS, 1869.
Home of Captain William Fraser, the proprietor of Royal
Brackla Distillery, established in 1812.