Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

AUCHINDOUNE HOUSELB1723

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
26/01/1971
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Cawdor
NGR
NH 83823 47990
Coordinates
283823, 847990

Description

Mid 18th century, 2-storey and attic house, wide 3 bays. Harl

pointed rubble, tooled ashlar dressings. Projecting square

porch, with piended slate roof, later round-headed entrance

and fanlight, masks centre door, with additional later window

at right. 2 small piended dormers. Single windows in ground

floor, east; each gable has narrow slit vent to light attic.

12-pane glazing; end stacks; slate roof. Single storey and

attic, 2-bay mid 19th century rear wing.

Set back and flanking each gable is short length of

crenellated walling, with re-used marriage stone dated 1628

inserted at west.

Interior: simple moulded doorpieces; original fielded

panelled doors in older part of house. 2 18th century carved

marble chimney pieces in east drawing room (formerly 2

rooms); 1, possibly by John Cheere (died 1787), from former

Cawdor property in Wales, the second said to have come from

a house in Westminster Abbey precincts, London, brought north

by an earlier Campbell of Cawdor. Elliptical stair with

cantilevered stone treads and simple balusters.

Statement of Special Interest

Said to be site of earlier dwelling or castle. 1628 marriage

stone is former chimney lintel with incised hearts and

initials of a Stuart who married a Campbell of Cawdor.

References

Bibliography

No Bibliography entries for this designation

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to AUCHINDOUNE HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/05/2022 06:04