Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

TYNRON VILLAGE TYNRON PARISH CHURCHLB17222

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
26/06/1986
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Tynron
NGR
NX 80590 93012
Coordinates
280590, 593012

Description

William Burn, architect. Built 1837. T-plan, small Gothic church, with gabled central vestry on long south wall, porch in both re-entrant angles. All stugged pink ashlar with polished dressings. Large 3-light window with shafted jambs and moulded reveals to each gable (projecting on north jam to support square apex belfry) with hoodmould linked to angle buttresses; smaller, similar window to vestry, with hoodmould continued over depressed-arched doors in porches: single windows to body of church flanking both vestry and north jam. Grotesque gargoyles over angles; shaped skews. Wallhead stack above vestry, 2 twisted circular flues. Belfry has angle buttresses, hoodmoulded pointed openings, diminutive grotesque gargoyles over angles, and finialed pyramidal roof. Church roofed with graded slates.

Interior: timber and plaster rib-vaulted ceiling; panelled octagonal pulpit. Canopied sounding board with small finials and pendants; some leaded windows; west window by Cottier & Co. , circa 1892; north window circa 1878; single window on south wall circa 1912. Walled churchyard enclosure contains some interesting 17-19th century stone monuments, and is entered by steps at south with polished red ashlar balustrade, square gatepiers with shaped caps.

Statement of Special Interest

2 Tombstones, including Martyr's Stone, are noted in the RCAHM Inventory. A for completeness.

References

Bibliography

NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT p. 479 Copies of Plans in SNMR.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to TYNRON VILLAGE TYNRON PARISH CHURCH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 23/07/2019 10:01