Architect probably Sir Robert Smirke, circa 1831. Stables,
single storey with lofts, built around large quadrangular
courtyard; fine Classical east range, with round-arched
central pend, built of polished red ashlar (remainder
rubble-built). East elevation: 7 bays, articulated by
advanced central and outer bays with paired and clasping
pilasters supporting continuous entablature; barrel-vaulted
pend with pilastered jambs and lion keystone; architraved
12-pane sash windows pedimented or corniced: pedimented
flanks. Other ranges lower, that to north with ridge
ventilator: rear courtyard entrance to west. Segmental-arched
cart openings (some blocked) and square-headed doors and
windows to courtyard. Slate roofs.
Statement of Special Interest
Smirke is known to have done work at Terregles in 1831 (NMRS
index presumably the west porch and rear wing, which were in
a manner similar to this.
Terregles House now demolished.