Built circa 1785. 3-storey 5-bay mansion house with basement
and symmetrical flanking wings; now a hotel. Modified circa
1857 and again circa 1895 when (brick) billiard room and
glass house range added to rear. Rendered, with ashlar
dressings. South-east elevation: steps to central Roman
Doric-columned porch; cill course to upper floors, upper
windows now pedimented (circa 1895) and cut through main
cornice. Corniced end stacks; piended roof. 2-storey, 2-bay
wings also piended, linked to main block by recessed low
linking bays with enlarged 3-light inserted openings.
Circular rear stair turret, canted billiard room to left.
Interior: cantilevered stair with decorative cast-iron
balusters; panelled doors in door cases. Simple ceiling
plasterwork. Glass house is timber-framed, with some cast-
Statement of Special Interest
B group with former stables and viaduct. 1794 notice
describes Woodley Park as "lately built; it has a ground
floor, 1st floor and 8 bed chambers above." Balfour Browne
purchased estate in 1891; he enlarged "some... furtive
little windows". Home of Burns' Maria Woodley (Mrs Riddel).