Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
NS 87159 13056
287159, 613056


Circa 1800 2-storey 3-bay former store on falling ground (with former shop at ground

floor and dwellings above) with near contemporary full height 2-bay addition to

north west with large upper-windows. Entry at 1st floor to rear to dwellings. All whitewashed rubble,

painted margins. Original house has off-centre door; door,

and ground floor window to right on addition; single plate

glass sash windows throughout; straight skews; end stacks;

slate roofs, graded slates over addition. Cobbled pavement. Higher ground to rear with flat bridges to 1st floor doors in original and addition.

Statement of Special Interest

Stewart Place is an important element in the history of the former lead mine and Wanlockhead. It was built as the company store and remains significantly in its original form.

The company store was operated under the 'Truck System' from the 18th century. As payment for lead came many months after it was originally mined, miners were only paid once a year but meanwhile the store supplied them with goods to the value of the wages due. The store would provide the essentials even if the miner had no credit, to avoid starvation. The store passed to the Duke of Buccleuch when he took over the mining leases in 1868. In 1871 a co-operative was formed by the miners replacing 'the store' but still occupying Stewart Place until 1900. A small shop then opened at ground floor, with dwellings above. It is thought that the store influenced Robert Owen's decision to establish a company store at New Lanark, after visits to Wanlockhead.

Upgraded from a category C(S) to B on 24 July 2003.



Information courtesy of Museum of Lead Mining, Wanlockhead.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to WANLOCKHEAD VILLAGE STEWART PLACE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2024 14:31