Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

DALSKAIRTH HOUSELB17161

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
04/11/1971
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Troqueer
NGR
NX 93681 72974
Coordinates
293681, 572974

Description

Mid/later 18th century 2-storey 5-bay country house with

attic and basement; east-facing, and formerly symmetrical,

with recessed full-height wings (these perhaps not

original) forming U-plan. Remodelled circa 1830 (windows

possibly enlarged; panelled door with fanlight inserted,

bow added to west end of north wing, and present main

stair built) and in 1899 by John A Campbell of Glasgow

(baroque porch added and north wing enlarged). All harled

with painted ashlar dressings and rusticated quoins. East

elevation: porch with open segmental pediment on pilasters,

round-headed doorway, steps within; sash windows, plate

glass at ground, 12-pane glazing at 1st floor; flat-roofed

dormers; single bay wing to left; (north) wing to right with

pilastered aedicular ingle-neuk (north-facing window

similarly treated), wall-head stack above, and oculus at

1st floor; base course; eaves/lintel band; cornice;

blocking course; coped end, wall-head and ridge stacks;

piended slate roofs. Pyramidal-roofed porch to south.

Interior: cantilevered stair with cast-iron balusters;

much remodelling circa 1899, round-arched screen in hall,

round-arched doorways into north wing, each with cartouche

in tympanum; fireplace and fitted cupboard in angle

alongside; pilastered openings in billiards room and dado

panelling; some decorative (early 19th century) cornice

plasterwork. South wing basement with shallow segmental-

arched brick vault.

Statement of Special Interest

1734 Sundial might indicate building date.

References

Bibliography

BUILDING NEWS 27.8.1897

ACADEMY ARCHITECTURE 1897 (for Campbell)

1983 sale catalogue in NMRS.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DALSKAIRTH HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 27/06/2019 01:00