Peddie and Kinnear, architects, 1884. Some demolition and
alteration to rear service court. Large asymmetrical gabled
villa, 2 storeys and attic; squared whinstone, polished cream
Entrance front: 3-bay full-height section, lower 2-storey
service wing to right, 3 main bays with Scots Renaissance
doorway to left, double-leaf panelled doors. Panel over
door dated 1884, bipartite window above. Centre bay lower and
recessed, 4-light window to ground, tripartite above. Right
bay with canted window to ground, tripartite above.
Garden elevation: 3-bay with 2 full-height Bryce-derived
canted windows with projecting jerkin headed gables. All
windows mullioned, transomed to ground. Sash and case with
plate glass glazing. Corbelled string course over ground
floor level. Steep gabled bargeboarded bracketted eaves, tall
brick stacks, some partially cut down. Steeply pitched gabled
roofs with modern red tiles (originally red tile). Rear
service court partially demolished, conservatory built on
site reusing original stonework for basecourses.
Good interior retaining most original panelling,
chimneypieces, plasterwork etc.
Stables (NX 68492 70878): long single storey and attic range, whinstone
walling with cream ashlar dressings. Off-centre depressed
arch pend giving access to stables, carriage houses to right.
All ground floor windows single light, to 1st bipartite, all
sash and case with multi-pane glazing. Recently re-roofed in
red tiles (originally red clay tiles), brick axial stacks.