Late 18th century, 2-storey and basement house remodelled and
with taller 2-storey and attic additions to W by David Bryce,
1853. Further large additions, this time to E of 1910, by
Charles Stuart Still Johnston, a pupil of Bryce here
employing his master's style. Johnston's monogram and the
date 1910 appear on a dormer head. Little original survives
of the earlier house located in the central part. Though of 2
building periods, the wings of the house present a relatively
harmonious composition aided by the uniform harled walling,
polished pink sandstone margins and the Scots Baronial
Bryce wing to W, asymmetrical crow-stepped front; corbelled
angle tourelles with fish-scale roofs, attic dormers. Typical
Bryce detail of projecting bay window, canted to ground but
corbelled to square at 1st.
CSS Johnston wing to E, in similar Baronial style, with Arts
and Crafts elements. To S, full-height round tower door
grouped with corbelled projecting flue rising to tall stack
at gable. 1910 single storey gabled entrance porch obscures
most of 18th-century S elevation.
All windows sash and case, most are 20th-century with 12-pane
upper sashes, and 2-pane lower. Canted bays of Bryce wing
retain 8-pane glazing. Band course over basement; all gables crowstepped, tall gablehead and axial stacks, some octagonal
cans. Steeply pitched slate roofs.
Interior: Bryce wing with good scale and platt stair,
barley-sugar twist timber balusters. Simple strapwork plaster
ceilings, heavy roll-moulded fireplace.