Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

MAINS OF MACHERMORE, FARMHOUSE AND STEADINGLB17067

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
03/08/1993
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Minnigaff
NGR
NX 42402 64565
Coordinates
242402, 564565

Description

Later 19th century. Farmhouse and steading.

FARMHOUSE: 2-storey, 3-bay, with lower wing to rear. Rubble, painted to S and W elevations. Red sandstone ashlar dressings: raised margins; bull-faced quoins, with margin draft. Taller windows at ground floor.

S ELEVATION: angled doorcase at centre; plate glass fanlight. Regularly disposed fenestration.

W ELEVATION: window at ground and 1st floors to left.

E ELEVATION: window at ground and 1st floors to left and right.

N ELEVATION: single storey and loft wing adjoined at centre; gablehead stack to N, modern tiles. Door, with window flanking to left and right, to W; window to E; door in gablehead to N, with timber forestair up; modern outbuilding adjoined to left to N.

Plate glass glazing in sash and case windows. Shouldered wallhead stacks at centre to E and W. Graded grey slates to piended roof. STEADING: U-plan. Painted rubble. Red sandstone coped skews. Graded grey slates. Boarded doors. Small-pane glazing. U-plan to S; variety of openings.

HOUSE AND CHEESE LOFT: 2-storey, with 1st floor breaking eaves, 3-bay house, and adjoining cheese loft to S. Painted rubble. Grey slates. Red sandstone coped skews. Plate glass glazing in sash and case windows to house. Gablehead stacks to E and W, and ridge stack at centre.

N ELEVATION: house to right; door at centre; window in outer bays, with gabled dormerheads at 1st floor; brick lean-to adjoined to right.

Cheese loft to left: 2-bay; door to left; rubble lean-to adjoined to left.

Statement of Special Interest

The farmhouse was built sometime between 1850 and 1894, although the steading may have been enlarged from earlier buildings shown on the OS Map of 1849-50. This farm is called "Machermore Farm" on the OS Map of 1849-50, whilst "Mains of Machermore" is located close by Machermore Castle. On the OS Map of 1894, this farm is called "Mains of Machermore" and its plan form corresponds to its present form.

References

Bibliography

OS Map 1949-50, Kirkcudbright, Sheet 35. OS Map 1894, Kirkcudbright, Sheet XXXIX NW.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MAINS OF MACHERMORE, FARMHOUSE AND STEADING

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/05/2019 22:26