Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

GARLIES LODGE AND MOTOR HOUSELB17058

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
03/08/1993
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Minnigaff
NGR
NX 35116 77153
Coordinates
235116, 577153

Description

Humphreys Ltd, London, 1910. Single storey, gabled lodge, with encircling verandah. Corrugated iron; originally with mock half-timbered detailing. Rubble foundations. 6-pane casement windows, mainly 2-light. 6-pane upper panels to panelled doors. Moulded surrounds. Corniced rendered ridge to stack to service wing; formerly stacks to N and S pitches.

Verandah to S, E and N elevations; roof swept from main pitch to N and S, gambrel to E; timber walkway; only handrail of timber balustrade now remaining.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Door at centre. Double-leaf doors in outer bays. 5-bay verandah, with gabled centre bay.

S ELEVATION: 4-bay (3-1). 3-light window in bay to right. Regular fenestration in remaining bays. 6-bay verandah.

N ELEVATION: 4-bay (1-3). 3-light window in bay to left. Windows in centre bays. Small bathroom window in bay to right. 6-bay verandah, gabled over bay to right of centre.

W ELEVATION: service wing, linked to W gable by passage, with window to E and W. Door to left to W elevation, with small window flanking to left; 3-light window to left of centre. Window to right to gabled N elevation, formerly with door to left. Window to E return. Gabled S elevation recessed to left, with window to left and right.

INTERIOR: timber boarded walls and ceilings. Central hall. Dining room and sitting room originally in rooms to E, with 4 bedrooms, bathroom and box room. Cast-iron fireplaces.

MOTOR HOUSE: Humphreys Ltd, 1911. Garage and carport to W, residential quarters to E; both rectangular-plan, adjoined to form L-plans to E and W. Corrguated iron. 6-pane windows in timber frames, mainly 2-light. Corniced rendered ridge stack to E.

W ELEVATION: L-plan to left, garage to right. Canopied door, with 6-pane upper panel, to far right; 2 windows to left. Window to E return. 4-light window to gabled bay to right; carport to right.

S ELEVATION: roof extended on 2 timber piers to form open gabled carport to left; concrete floor; double-leaf boarded doors to garage. Single-light window to S return. Window to right, formerly with door flanking to left.

E ELEVATION: window in gabled bay to left. 3-light window at centre.

N ELEVATION: gabled; outhouse adjoined to right, with door to W and window to N.

2 cast-iron gatepiers. Drystone rubble wall.

Statement of Special Interest

Garlies Lodge was built by the Earl of Galloway. It was originally proposed to site the Motor House to the SE of the Lodge. The plans illustrate the Motor House as half-timbered, with a green roof and fawn walls; the carport is described as a "concrete washing area with roof", and the residential quarters are divided into a living room, a bedroom and a separate "room for 2 men".

References

Bibliography

Plans in possession of owner: two plans entitled "Proposed Pavilion for the Earl of Galloway", July 1910 (26557, 26561) and one plan entitled "Proposed Motor House Lodge for the Earl of Galloway", March 1911 (27197), by Humphreys Ltd, Knightsbridge, London.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GARLIES LODGE AND MOTOR HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 12:08