Circa 1800. 3-storey former waulk-mill. Converted to residential use, circa 1971. Whinstone rubble; granite quoins and rybats.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 4-bay (2-1-1). Stone forestair, with iron balustrade, to door at 1st floor in bay to right of centre. Regularly disposed fenestration, except at ground floor in bay to left; larger windows at 1st floor.
W (PENKILN BURN) ELEVATION: 5-bay. Near-regularly disposed fenestration at ground and 1st floors, later openings sited lower in centre bay and in bays to right of centre and in bay to outer left at 2nd floor. Blocked mill race to right. Adjoined to Queen Mary's Bridge (see separate listing) to SW.
S ELEVATION: window to 1st and 2nd floors at centre.
N ELEVATION: lean-to former dye-house adjoined, raised from single storey and altered, slightly canted in to right; door to left and garage door to right to E; small window to right of centre to N.
Variety of small-pane glazing, mainly 12-pane glazing in sash and case windows. Coped skews. Granite stack to N. Grey slates.
INTERIOR: timber and cast-iron overshot water-wheel, gearing and trough preserved in basement. 2 cast-iron dyeing vats in dye-house
Rubble remains of earlier waulk mill to N.
Statement of Special Interest
Previously listed as "The Waulkmill (former Cumloden Mill)". Cumloden Waulkmill was converted for residential use circa 1971. Spinning and weaving for the manufacture of blankets and plaiding was undertaken here until the early 1920s. The main driving machinery was located in the basement of the mill, with vertical and horizontal gearing transmitting power directly from the wheel to the upper floors. The spinning machinery was located on the first floor; the loom-shop was situated in the attic, which originally housed handlooms and later small power looms. The dye-house was situated in the lean-to.
The current waulk-mill replaced an earlier waulk-mill, the remains of which are situated to the N; the earlier waulkmill is marked on Timothy Pont's "Gallovidia" map of 1654 and on John Ainslie's "Map of the County of Wigton" of 1782.
Donnachie describes the site as "probably one of the most complete and best-preserved textile sites in Galloway".