There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 17/12/1979
- Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish: Minnigaff
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NX 41743 67698
- Coordinates: 241743, 567698
Circa 1820. Single storey and attic, extensive, gabled, Gothick cottage house. Painted render. Painted margins and rusticated quoins. Base course. Pointed-arched windows with diamond-pane glazing, almost throughout. Deep overhanging eaves. Scrolled bargeboarding. Slate-hung, gabled dormer windows, with moulded pointed-arches. Extensive outbuildings to rear.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical 5 bays to left, with timber verandah; gabled entrance porch in re-entrant angle with recessed tranverse wing to right (see E elevation).
Centre and outer bays gabled and slightly advanced. Deep eaves of outer bays carried on narrow arched side screens; eaves of finialled centre bay projected further on braces. Roof swept down to 3-bay verandah in penultimate bays, linking outer bays to centre bay. Braced balcony, with open arcaded timber balustrade, to centre bay, continuing verandah line. Regular fenestration at ground floor. Window in gablehead of outer bays. Tripartite rectangular-light window, with longer light at centre, in gablehead of centre bay; carved stone panel above, comprised of inscribed stone with ogee-arch and stone bearing heraldic shield. Dormer windows in penultimate bays; rooflights below on swept roofs.
E ELEVATION: long M-gabled wing adjoined, with porch in re-entrant angle with right return of S elevation. Large open timber porch, gabled to E, with eraves projected on braces; window to right return. Door in slightly advanced bay to left of S; studded door with pointed-arched panels, glazed at apex; polished pink granite panel above, bearing white marble sculptured armorial bearings of the Earls of Galloway. 2 windows to right, to S. 2 windows to M-gabled E return.
W ELEVATION: 4-bay wing to right, 3-bay wing recessed to left. WING TO RIGHT: modern gabled conservatory projecting in bay to right, masking original window. Gabled porch in bay to right of centre; door to S return, now into conservatory; window to W and to N return. Window in bays to left of centre. 3 asymmetrically-placed dormer windows. Window at ground floor and blind window in gablehead to N return. Window in recessed single storey linking block to left. WING TO LEFT: chamfered margins to rectangular-light windows, hoodmoulded at basement. Outer bays gabled and slightly advanced, with half-piended, timebr 2-light oriel windows; horizontal windows at basement. Dormerheaded window in centre bay; small square window at basement.
Slightly advanced gabled bay at centre to N return; pointed-arch window and horizontal window at basement.
N ELEVATION: formed of 2 L-plans. E return of NW wing: gable to right at ground floor and 2 windows at 1st floor, blind to right; 4-bay (1-3) to left, with doors to outer bays and rectangular-light windows at ground floor and windows at 1st floor: piended roof to left. NW wing linked by verandah to square piended block to NE. Piended block, raised from single storey; 2 windows at 1st floor to W; doorway to left and window to right at ground floor to N; carriage opening to right and pointed tripartite window to left at ground floor to E, tripartite window to left and bipartite window to right at 1st floor. 2 bays recessed to left to E, with pointed-arched door to right, window to left and 2 dormer windows. Rear of transverse range to left; blocked door to right; piend-roofed canted bay to left with wallhead stack.
Diamond-pane glazing in sash and case windows. Granite ridge stacks; 2 with triple diagonally-placed shafts to S roof, and one with double diagonally-placed shafts to W roof (originally more stacks). Graded grey slates.
GARDEN HOUSES: 2 early 20th century timber garden houses situated to E. Larger garden house, with oculi in pedimented gables, and formerly with completely encircling canopy. Smaller garden house, with canopy to gable.
Statement of Special Interest
Cumloden was built by Sir William Stewart, second son of the 7th Earl
of Galloway, for his retirement; he died in 1827. Cumloden is described in the NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT as "the romantic cottage of Cumoden, the summer residence of the Earl of Galloway". Cumloden is called "Cumloden Cottage" on the OS Maps of 1849-50 and 1907.
The inscribed ogee-arched stone and heraldic stone, built into the central gablehead on the S elevation, were transferred from Garlies Castle (see separate listing) sometime after 1911; they are described and illustrated in the INVENTORY.
A ruinous brick laundry, with sinks still in situ, is situated to the south-east.
B Group with Cumloden Lodge and Gatepiers; Cumloden Stables, Archway and Sundial; Garden Cottage and Walled Garden; Glenmalloch Lodge (see separate listings).
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT Vol IV (1845) Kirkcudbright, pp 118, 127-128.
OS Map 1849-50, Kirkcudbright, Sheet 28. P H M'Kerlie HISTORY OF THE LAND AND THEIR OWNERS IN GALLOWAY Vol IV (1878) pp 411-417. M M Harper RAMBLES IN GALLOWAY (1896) pp 189-190. OS Map 1907, Kirkcudbright, Sheet XXXII SW. RCAHMS INVENTORY Vol II, Kirkcudbright (1914) p 180.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.