Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
NX 42283 68248
242283, 568248


Earlier 19th century. Single storey, gabled cottage. Rubble, snecked to S elevation; red sandstone ashlar dressings. Granite base course. Raised chamfered margins, with droved tails. Long and short quoins. Overhanging eaves. Cusped bargeboarding. In dilapidated condition (1990).

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: flush-panelled door at centre. Tudor-arched window to right. Gabled bay advanced to left, with half-piended canted window.

E ELEVATION: gabled, with hoodmoulded tripartite window.

W ELEVATION: piended, with tall, substantial, lozenge-shaped, ashlar set-off stack rising from ground; heavily corniced with incised serrated detailing to each face. Gabled timber summer-house (?) adjoined; door to W; 6-bay Tudor-arched arcading to sides.

N ELEVATION: closet at centre, with cat-slide roof; door to E and W returns. Ashlar wallhead stack to lect of lean-to, with tall brick shaft.

Remains of leaded diamond-pane glazing. Graded grey slates. Rooflight to right to N pitch.

INTERIOR: 2 rooms.

Statement of Special Interest

Glenmalloch Lodge was built as a school by the Countess of Galloway. In 1842 the NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT states that "25 girls are instructed in reading, writing, arithmetic, and needle work, by a female teacher" at the charity school. The building is called "Cumloden School" on the OS Map of 1849, "Park Cottage" on the OS Map of 1894 and "Glenmallock Lodge" on the OS Map of 1907.

Glenmalloch Lodge is in a very dilapidated condition (1990). B Group with Cumloden House; Cumloden Lodge and Gatepiers; Cumloden Stables, Archway and Sundial; Garden Cottage and Walled Garden (see separate listings).



NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT Vol IV (1845) Kirkcudbright, p 142. OS Map 1849-50, Kirkcudbright, Sheet 28. OS Map 1894, Kirkcudbright,

Sheet XXXII SW. OS Map 1907, Sheet XXXII SW.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CUMLODEN, GLENMALLOCH LODGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/07/2019 05:23