Hawkins, 1694 origin; but predominantly later to late 18th century, with later alterations and additions. 2-storey, piend-roofed house, with outer pavilions, linked by single storey wings. Substantial additions to rear: later 19th century gabled range adjoined to W, forming L-plan to NW. Single storey additions to NE. Harled: polished granite dressings. Granite margins and angle margins to house, wings and pavilions. Lintel course at eaves level and eaves cornice to S elevation of house. S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-storey, 3-bay house at centre. Granite doorpiece at centre with detached columns. Regularly disposed fenestration; later windows at ground floor. Single storey wings slightly recessed to left and right, and angled to S; bipartite window to each. Single storey piend-roofed pavilion adjoined to left; window at centre to S; window to left to W. 2-storey gabled pavilion (raised from single storey) adjoined to right; window at centre at ground floor, 2 dormerheaded windows at 1st floor.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: early 20th century gabled range to right, in re-entrant angle formed by house and W pavilion. 2 windows at ground floor to W gable; window to right at 1st floor. 4-bay to N return; rectangular projection in 2 bays to right with machinery door; windows in 2 bays to left at ground floor; 4 alternately semicircular - and triangular-headed dormerheaded windows at 1st floor. Bowed flat-roofed porch in re-entrant angle, with door and flanking windows; stair window above, on chamfered angle; small window to right on N elevation of house. W elevation of N range; window at ground and 1st floor to right; later addition to left, with French door to right, window to left, and 2 dormerheaded windows at 1st floor.
N ELEVATION: lean-to to right and narrow window to left to N gable. Bipartite window on chamfered angle between house and N range. Single storey additions adjoined in angles formed by house, N range and E pavilion; variety of openings.
E ELEVATION: 2-storey gabled pavilion to left; glazed door to left, slate plaque with Latin inscription above, window to right of centre at ground floor, window to right at 1st floor. Single storey additions to right.
Variety of small-pane glazing in sash and case windows; 4-pane to house and W pavilion, some 12-pane, including bipartite windows in wings, some multi-pane. Harled stacks; broad shouldered wallhead stacks to E and W of house; gablehead to N; wallhead to N of E pavilion. Graded grey slates to house, wings and pavilions, grey slates to early 20th century range, purple-grey slates to addition to N range.
Statement of Special Interest
Bargaly House was built for Andrew Heron in 1694, apparently by
"Mr Hawkins, an Englishman", and replaced an earlier house. However, there is now visible evidence of 1694 fabric. Additions were made to the rear between 1849 and 1894. In 1917 Rogers noted that "the house has in recent times been enlarged and a new approach made to it".
B Group with Bargaly Lodge, Gatepiers and Railings; Sundial; Sundial Dated 1828; Tomb of Andrew Heron; Walled Garden (see separate listings).