Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
Daviot And Dunlichity
NH 65976 32969
265976, 832969


Chruch; 1759, repaired 1826, and subsequently re-cast and re-

fitted internally. Simple rectangular church on site sloping

to E, building orientated E-W, with rubble burial enclosure

at E gable, probably outlining and possibly part of, former ecclesiastical building. All harled with ashlar dressings

(some chamfered ashlar margins masked by harl). Long S

elevation has 4 regular square windows and extra similar

window inserted in extreme SE (lighting Minister's room);

pair round-headed windows in west gable with leaded-pane

glazing. Entrance and single window (possibly former door) in

outer bays of rear (N) elevation; 9-pane glazing. Flat

skews; corniced end stack at W gable (blocked and supporting

small cross); slate roof.

Interior; re-fitted interior re-cast to E.

Burial enclosure at E gable; simple coped rubble walls with

various mural plaques to Shaw family of Tordarroch. Watch-

house; early 19th century, small single-bay, single-storey

with raised rectangular harl-pointed building with ashlar

dressings. On sloping site with entrance from road in SE

front; centre rear window and single window in NE return

gable; diminutive raised basement light. Flat skews; end

coped stack; slate roof. McGilleveray Burial enclosure;

square, high coped rubble walled enclosure; entrance in

centre, east front, faced with tooled rubble and with ashlar

piers (probably re-used) rising from upper part, projecting

above wallhead and terminating with corniced, stepped

pyramidal caps and urn finials. Various mural memorials.

Burial Ground. Rubble walled burial ground enclosure

irregular site, and abutting both watch-house and McGilleveray enclosure. Burial ground on sloping site and full of closely

packed tomb stones, some of 17th and 18th century date.

Statement of Special Interest

Building in ecclesiastical use as such. Dunlichity Church

built in late middle ages on site of early Christian

settlement dedicated to St Finan, c. 575. Present building

said to be the third on the site. Dunlichity Parish joined

with Daviot in 1618.




STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, xiv (1838), pp.521-2. George Hay, THE


(1957) p.259.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DUNLICHITY PARISH CHURCH OF SCOTLAND, WATCH-HOUSE MCGILLEVERAY BURIAL ENCLOSURE AND BURIAL GROUND

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/10/2019 08:12