Thomas Hamilton architect, 1827-9; additions and alterations
by Peddie and Kinnear, architects, 1896. Large Tudor Gothic
mansion, originally with near symmetrical tripartite plan,
Peddie and Kinnear's alterations obscure the original
entrance front. Some good Hamilton interiors survive.
Coursed rubble, polished red sandstone margins and details;
square or octagonal buttresses to angles rising to
castellated turret-finials giving lively roofline to N.
N (entrance) elevation: originally near symmetrical with
2-storey projecting gabled end bays, recessed 3-storey centre
bay with canted 2nd floor. After Peddie and Kinnear
alterations, left bay raised to 3 storeys with boldly
projecting 2-storey bay. Porch of polished red sandstone with
deep parapet originally to centre bay moved to right bay, and
replaced by single storey projecting passage.
S (garden) elevation: Hamilton design had near-symmetrical
proportions of bays with 3-window 3-storey centre bay flanked
by 2-storey narrower bays, that to left gabled. Centre bay
has ground floor of polished red sandstone and 2-storey
projecting canted window to centre with embattled parapet,
1st and 3rd floor windows Tudor arched with original
small-pane and Y-tracery glazing. Peddie and Kinnear
alterations give large recessed single storey wing to left,
right bay widened and raised to 3-storey, tripartite window
to ground, bipartite to 3rd. E elevation all 1891 work,
3-storey with 2-storey canted window to left.
Polished ashlar bands between floors, deep plain parapets,
slate roofs; axial stacks with tall grouped octagonal cans.
Interior: drawing room unaltered from Hamiltons work; Gothick
cusped woodwork to window ingoes, simple marble chimneypiece,
anthemion frieze, good door with cusped panelling. Dining
room relatively unaltered with similar cornice and marble
chimneypiece, otherwise interiors mainly Peddie and Kinnear.