Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

BLACKET OR BLACKWOOD HOUSE, STABLES AND GATEPIERS, AT NORTH AND AT FORMER EAST DRIVESLB16972

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
03/08/1971
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Middlebie
NGR
NY 24323 74334
Coordinates
324323, 574334

Description

Built 1830/40. 2-storey small-scale country house with Tudor

details, parallel low ranges to W from service court. Stugged

red ashlar coursers with polished dressings and hood-moulds.

N (entrance) and S elevations both with advanced wide gabled

bay nearest E, 3 remaining bays to N with central doorway

with moulded head (panelled door with fanlight), 1st floor

windows break through eaves and have steep gabled

dormer-heads. Sash windows to elevations, lying-panes at

ground, 12-pane glazing pattern at 1st floor. E elevation has

projecting ground floor windows and central wallhead gable

with corbelled stack and individual flues; otherwise corniced

end and axial stacks to house. Shaped skews and skewputts;

finialed gables. Courtyard ranges linked at W by screen wall,

single diamond flue over each W gable. Slate roofs. L-plan

low stables/coachhouse court to W of house similarly

detailed, N range a 3-bay stable, W range a 2-bay coach

house. Gatepiers to N of house, square outer piers linked by

short quadrants to taller, thinner inner piers. All painted

ashlar with pointed caps. Piers at E drive also painted

ashlar.

Statement of Special Interest

Re-used marriage lintel at stables dated 1795.

Scheduled Ancient Monument, No 10431, 28 October 2002.

References

Bibliography

No Bibliography entries for this designation

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BLACKET OR BLACKWOOD HOUSE, STABLES AND GATEPIERS, AT NORTH AND AT FORMER EAST DRIVES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/08/2019 18:12