John MacLintock Bowie of Dumfries. Dated 1928. Cruciform-plan
gothic church with low chancel and twin-gabled transepts,
flat-roofed porches in W re-entrant angles. Roughly squared
rubble with polished dressings. Nave W front has large
traceried and hood-moulded window over 2-centred arched
doorway (2-leaf timber door); plain angle buttresses,
surmounted at SW by 2 dimensional belfry (bronze bell);
cross-finialed main gable. Porches each have W-facing door
and window. Chancel and transept gables also with traceried
windows; nave flanks with rectangular tripartites with simple
tracery (similar windows to chancel flanks), quatrefoil
lights at gallery level. Raised shaped skews; slated roofs.
INTERIOR walls faced with snecked bull-faced ashlar;
vestibule screen at W with gallery over, both with applied
tracery. Original pews. Transepts behind arcaded screen.
CHURCHYARD: ground slopes steeply down at S and E;
rubble-built boundary wall at N only. Mostly 18th and 19th
headstones, some with good artisan sculpture.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such.
1692 datestone incorporated on SW buttress.
Former church bell removed in raid by Duke of Hamilton in
17th century, and taken to Bowness-on-Solway.