Built 1860. Rural library with major book collection.
Building has simplified Gothic detailing to openings.
Rectangular-plan; single storey; 3 bays (bipartite windows);
tall 2-light S gable window with cinquefoil; recessed low
reading room to N with gabled porch projecting E from
re-entrant angle (timber shouldered opening and barge-
boards), east-facing tripartite alongside. Squared and
snecked bull-nosed ashlar with contrasting dressings.
Coped end stack; roofs covered with graded slates.
INTERIOR: fitted timber bookshelves line wall (books mostly
uniformly bound and embossed "Telford's legacy") 2
freestanding bookcases; ornate cast-iron stove; exposed
roof timbers, pointed doorways linking rooms flank
fireplace in N reading room.
Set behind low rubble-built and ashlar-coped wall with
spear-head cast-iron railings.
Statement of Special Interest
Library was established 1793 (some references give date as
1795); OLD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (vol XI, p.527) (pub.1794)
records its formation for the benefit of the antimony mine
workers at Jamestown Glendinning by a grant of ?15 for books "some months ago"
from the mining company; at that time the collection
numbered 120 volumes.
Thomas Telford, a native of Westerkirk, bequeathed a
substantial sum to this library.
Groome (circa 1893) gives the collection as 6000 volumes.