Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
NY 31941 89280
331941, 589280


Much altered house and much restored. Work by Thomas

Telford 1783; reconstruction work following fire damage both

in 1873 and in 1955. Essentially 3 ranges in south-facing

U-plan; north-facing neo-classical entrance in bay linking

inner and E ranges. Mostly rubble-built with ashlar

dressings and margins. Main inner range: completely gutted

in 1955, and walls heightened/altered in reconstruction with

main roof swept over stump of former N wing. 2 storeys, 2

conical-roofed turrets in roughly Z-plan arrangement, that

on N wall perhaps originally a 17/18th century stair, that

to S, with garden entrance, circa 1955; S elevation with

3-window inner bow.

N ENTRANCE (?by Telford): possibly re-positioned in 19th

century; broad outer pilasters, cornice and blocking course,

wide panelled door with sidelights and thermal window above.

2-storey E wing comprises 2 unequal parallel blocks in double-pile arrangement; W wing single storey, curved low linking bay at NW. Mostly sash windows throughout with 12-pane glazing pattern. Corniced stacks; roofs covered mostly with graded slates. Unusual (?) 18th century ashlar-built well to NE, water spout set in S face, armorial panel above, water pours into trough below.

Statement of Special Interest

Listed for historic interest. The earliest known sizeable

job by Telford was at Westerhall.

Penfold notes a letter from Telford to Andrew Little, July

1783, "Mr Pulteney and I have made 100 alterations in




A Penfold, THOMAS TELFORD, ETC, 1981 p.11. (exhibition


NMRS - 1911 sale catalogue inc. photo; some prints taken

after fire 1955.

Groome, GAZETTEER, 2nd ed. vol VI p.480.

Information from owner.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to WESTERHALL HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 03/07/2022 10:02