Churchyard enclosing 1900 parish church by James Barbour and
roofless shell of 1770 old church.
PARISH CHURCH: Gothic; basically rectangular-plan, 3 bays
with square tower at SW, gabled organ-chamber in shallow E
jamb opposite. Roughly coursed rubble with ashlar dressings,
tower and S gable harled.
TOWER: door in re-entrant angle, W-facing window lights
vestry at lower level; louvred and traceried opening each
face of upper level, and simple parapet with birdcage belfry
over one angle.
BODY OF CHURCH: gabled timber canopy over paired doors at N
end of W wall; elementary perpendicular tracery, jamb with
rose window; single window to each gable; string at cill
level. Saw-toothed skews and slated roof with projecting
INTERIOR: octagonal pulpit with panelled front and decorative
canopy; carved, open timbered roof on shaped corbels; leaded
windows in either gable and on E wall, 2 of these by Swaine
Bourne & Son, Birmingham and London (signed).
CHURCHYARD: enclosed by rubble-built ashlar-coped walls; 2
coped, square, polished ashlar gatepiers with wrought-iron
gates (earlier gateway to W of lattice); some good 17th-19th
century stone monuments; rubble built shed (former watch
OLD PARISH CHURCH: abandoned 1900; T-plan, with 4-bay S
elevation, central door on each gable; rubble-built with
ashlar margins, now heavily overgrown: circa 1907 canopied
Gothic monument on site of pulpit, red ashlar, moulded arch
with cusping and ogee head.