1740-1745, John Douglas, architect, John Baxter site architect. William Burn, 1841, additions. Robert Lorimer, 1909, additions and much interior work. Major country house built in 3 main stages; 18th century house 3-storeys and basement, 5 bays with central 3 pedimented; linked by quadrant corridors to 2-storey pavilions. The 1841 additions included considerable alterations to floor levels and fenestration of the main block as well as full-height additions to the main block. The early 20th century work is mainly concerned with alterations to internal arrangements and interior decoration with some additions to the S elevations. Rubble with raised polished red sandstone rusticated quoins, architraved openings. W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: advanced pedimented centre 3 bays flanked by paired giant Corinthian pilasters, at ground and 1st supporting heavy modillion cornice, paired panelled pilaster strips to 3rd floor support pediment. Steps oversailing basement to architraved, consoled and broken pedimented doorpiece with Stewart coat of arms in tympanum. All single light windows with Gibbsian surrounds to ground. To 1st outer bays with bracketed aproned cills, to inner bays bracketed cills, to centre elaborately carved scrolls flank boldly carved egg and dart architraved window. 2nd floor windows with bracketed cills to inner bays. All windows sash and case with 12-pane (9 at 2nd floor) glazing Eaves cornice, pediment to central bays with crest in tympanum. The 5-bay main block was extended by adding full-height flanking bays in 1841. 3-bay quadrant corridors link the main block to the 2X3 bay pavilions, both raised a storey in the 1841; alterations. The corridor windows are round-arched to ground with bold keystones, square headed to 1st. Deep panelled parapet. The major part of the 1841 work was in additions to infill rear of quadrant corridors. 2-storey, attic and basement pavilions have double banded quoins, all windows simply architraved, some with 4-pane glazing. Attic windows with bracketed cills break through eaves and parapet with pedimented dormer heads. Balustraded parapet with die piers at angles. E (GARDEN) ELEVATION: originally 5-bay, now 9-bay elevation (outer 2 bays additions of 1841) 3-storeys and basement, terminal bays advanced gabled 2-storey. Central 3-bay bow (1841) with splayed steps over basement to glazed doors. Doric columns support balustraded balcony over basement around bow and with steps to centre oversailing basement with curved balustrade. Ground floor windows tripartite (enlarged from single light in 1841), otherwise all single light. All architraved windows, sash and case with mainly 4-pane glazing.
S ELEVATION: mainly 1841 infill with central 2-storey bowed bay of 1909 with balustraded parapet. Mainly single light windows with 4-pane glazing. Addition at ground of columned pedimented ashlar porch and fine ashlar balustraded steps to 1st floor.
N ELEVATION: similarly detailed.
Throughout, piended slate roofs, tall corniced axial and end stacks single or grouped in pairs and linked by a cornice.
N WING AND OUTBUILDINGS: irregular 2-storey, piend-roofed bays with fine towering stack dividing. Outbuildings beyond including canted block with louvred ventilator (former game larder?).
INTERIOR: decoration, plasterwork, panelling and chimneypieces of main rooms, hall and stair are mainly the work of Robert Lorimer, 1909-10 alterations with plasterwork by Beattie. Entrance hall is elaborate with scale and platt stair, some balusters retained from original stair, some new tomatch old. Plaster ceiling cornices and roses are expecially elaborate, again in a mid 18th century style. The library survives more or less intact from William Burn scheme, as does the billiard room. The drawing room chinmeypiece is of carved and inlaid marble, probably dating from the early 19th century. False ceiling removed from dining room to reveal decorative vaulted ceiling. Weathervane dial within hall. ARCHWAY AND GATES: To S. Ashlar segmental carriage arch flanked by broad pilasters and giant scroll, with parapet and fine panelled 2-leaf timber gates.
BOUNDARY WALLS: to parkland. Rubble with poloshed red sandstone coping stones. In places walls have been reduced in height but mostly retain their copes. Lodges and walled gardens listed separately.
Stell: EXPLORING DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY 1986.
See NMRS topographical catalogue.
Plans, sections, elevations, William Burn, 1842, at RIBA; copies at NMRS, WGD/26.
Sales Brochures 1907, 1913, 1982, 1985, NMRS.
Macaulay THE CLASSICAL COUNTRY HOUSE IN SCOTLAND 1660-1800 (1987) pp 102.104.
Savage LORIMER THE EDINBURGH CRAFT DESIGNERS (1980) p 108, p 175.
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GALLOWAY HOUSE AND PARK WALLS
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 12/11/2018 22:07