Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

CLACHAN OF MYRTON, MYRTON SMITHYLB16836

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
11/11/1994
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Mochrum
NGR
NX 36854 43898
Coordinates
236854, 543898

Description

Later 19th century. Single storey smithy. Adjoined to modernised single storey and attic, 2-bay cottage, Smithy House, forming L-plan to rear. Painted rubble.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: opening to left, with timber lintel and sliding steel machinery door. Cottage adjoined to right.

S ELEVATION: window to right, with timber mullion and transom dividing to 16 small panes. Partly-glazed window to left of centre. Timber and corrugated sheet metal lean-to adjoined to left.

W ELEVATION: painted rubble lean-to (former byre) adjoined to width of gable; door to right to S; corrugated sheet metal roof. Gable partly rendered above.

N ELEVATION: partly-glazed window at centre. Small modern porch (to house) to left, filling re-entrant angle. Roof piended to E, gabled to W. Modern purple slates to E pitch; small grey slates to S

pitch; corrugated sheet asbestos to N, with slates in re-entrant angle to E. Granite dressed rubble stacks; gablehead to W, ridge off-centre to E. Red sandstone ridge and thackstanes. 2 rooflights each to N and S pitches.

INTERIOR: 2 apartments, with dividing rubble wall. Shoeing shed in apartment to E; some setts to floor. Smithy in apartment to W; metal-canopied brick and stone forge to W wall with bellows; brick-canopied forge to E wall. Water pump to S.

Statement of Special Interest

The Smithy does not appear to be marked on the OS Map of 1848, but it is marked as "Smithy" on the OS Map of 1906. The survival of the fine bellows is of particular interest.

References

Bibliography

OS Map 1850, Wigtownshire, Sheet 29 (surveyed 1848). OS Map 1909,

Wigtownshire, Sheet XXX NE (surveyed 1906).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CLACHAN OF MYRTON, MYRTON SMITHY

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/06/2019 21:48